LWC 1944 D RPM missed by TPG

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Razz, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So I was looking through my mini hoard and looked at this slabbed cent again with a 5 power loop and saw doubling. Got out the more powerful lens and sure enough, appears to be Coneca 002 and CPG 001 RPM. Has the die scratches Pups for stage a. Can even see the southwest die scratch from the tip of the 9 in my photo. All the other die scratches for obverse and reverse Stage A are present in hand. Polish_20201026_204155541.jpg

Not bad for my 3,000th post! :cigar:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    BadThad, dwhiz and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Congratulations nice cent

4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks. I guess the question really might be does the TPG look for these or is this a miss by the submitter? I bought it slabbed for slightly less than the number on the sticker.

5. Dima

Dima Member

I believe - and I could be wrong - if this was submitted to PCGS and the person sending it did not check the 'Variety Attribution' checkbox, then PCGS wouldn't identify it as RPM.

I'm no expert; certainly looks like doubling to me.

6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

It matches FS 503, but I think FS 502 is the more valuable one and FS 507 is really valuable. But still a cool find, regardless.

8. Dima

Dima Member

I do know from experience that if you send something for a reholder to PCGS, you can tag on Variety Attribution. For example, I'd sent my Bust half to get reholdered recently and had Overton number added on for ~$9.

Definitely not worth sending in solely to get this attribution, but if you were planning on sending a few other slabs for reholdering, might be worthwhile to consider.

Edit - reholder service is significantly cheaper than regrade service. Even reholder + variety < regrade.

Razz likes this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1999 WAM 1-tile.jpg
    @Razz
    I would send it here https://www.varslab.com/
    PS I have and it works out well
    Also PCGS & NGC charge you for extra and you must request they check it for the variety...also no money back if isn't ID

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Razz and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks! Very cool!

dwhiz likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

"Variety Attribution" is an extra service that you have to pay for. And it's not cheap. The submitter may have missed it, or they may have just decided it isn't worth it for a minor RPM.

The cost of submitting and variety attribution would be three times what you paid for the coin!

dwhiz likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

When they actually have to think they charge you extra.

Draft saved Draft deleted