LV: Starter Kits ... with Latvian Maiden

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by chrisild, Dec 9, 2013.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As from tomorrow (Tue 10 Dec) the euro starter kits can be had in Latvia. One bag "costs" 10 LVL and contains coins worth 14.23 euro, the equivalent of 10 latu:

2 x 2 euro / 4 x 1 euro / 7 x 50 cent / 8 x 20 cent / 7 x 10 cent / 5 x 5 cent / 6 x 2 cent / 6 x 1 cent

More information about where to get the kits is here (press release). The coins will become legal tender on 1 January 2014 ... and they bring a well known design back. The Latvian Maiden first appeared on a 5 lati coin in the 1930s; now she will be on the €1 and €2 coins. Here is a photo (image: Latvian Central Bank) of some Latvian €2 pieces:

[​IMG]

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

These are the designs. The 1, 2 and 5 cent feature the Lesser or small coat of arms; the mid-range pieces (10, 20, 50 cent) show the Large coat of arms, and the 1 and 2 euro coins have the Latvian Maiden.

latvia.jpg

Christian

Derick, bdunnse, Hiddendragon and 3 others like this.
  4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

And while I'm at it ... next year Andorra will also issue its euro coins. The country (which is not an EU member) has been using the euro for quite a while, but now it also has a monetary agreement - much like what, for example, San Marino has.

Does not make much sense, I think, to start a separate topic about these coins. :) Anyway, here they are. The small denomination coins (1, 2, 5 ct) have a "Wildlife" theme, with the Pyrenean chamois and eagle. The mid-range pieces (10, 20, 50 ct) show Romanesque architecture (Santa Coloma), the €1 coin shows the Casa de la Vall (seat of the Andorran parliament), and the €2 coin has the Andorran coat of arms. andorra.jpg

Christian

Derick, bdunnse, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

With the exception of Monaco, I have a set of each country in un-circulated. I'll be adding these as soon as they are available, Thanks for the update.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I like an old Latvian coins. When they produced their 2-euros coins, they used the portrait of the Latvian Maiden from this coin.

Attached Files:

• 53.jpg
      53.jpg
      File size:
      227.4 KB
      Views:
    • 54.jpg
      54.jpg
      File size:
      289.9 KB
      Views:
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

For some background info about that portrait see the "Latvian Maiden" link (to a Wikipedia article) in the initial post. The woman who appears on that coin, Zelma Brauere, was also used as a model for others, such as this 50 santimu coin from 1922: http://www.moneta-coins.com/photopost/data/647/Latvia50S_22.jpg

Also, here is a video (in Latvian which I do not understand) that shows the plaster model of the 5 lati coin, and design variations that did not make it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=guU7Tkw2t68#t=50

Christian

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm curious, what currency did Andorra use before the euro? I have an Andorran coin but I think it's more of a collector coin than a real circulating piece.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Andorra has "always" used what the two neighbors use. :) Before the euro cash came, it was Spanish pesetas and French francs. There is a separate Andorran currency (1 diner = 100 cèntims), but those pieces are for collectors only indeed ...

Christian

11. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I have a couple of coins from Andorra.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      90.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      69.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
    chrisild and sonlarson like this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, I have some too, including that 5 cèntims coin. :) By the way, the introduction of the Andorran euro and cent coins may take a little longer than originally scheduled. The Catalan language newspaper Diari d'Andorra just reported that "Els nous euros estaran en circulació durant el primer trimestre". http://www.diariandorra.ad/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=29709&Itemid=380

In other words, the coins will not be available as from 1-Jan but come in the first quarter of 2014. Not a big deal - unlike Latvia the country uses the euro cash anyway. But it may be disappointing for collectors who wanted to get their pieces right after New Year's Day ...

Christian

13. ericl

ericl Senior Member

I was in Latvia a few months ago, I TRIED to get a starter kit, but all i was able to get was a ticket for Jay Walking.......

sonlarson likes this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

At least you got something from the government. :D Yes, the starter kits for the "general public" are usually issued just two or three weeks before a changeover. Businesses get starter packs, or whatever they are called, a little earlier, but those you can't "buy" as a plain vanilla citizen or visitor ...

Seems that the BU sets will cost €14, and the proof sets will be €35, with lower prices per set if you buy ten or more (Info in Latvian). At the end of the article text there are a few images of the sets; click to enlarge them.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted