Luck out on ebay

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gary R. Wilson, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Hello everyone. Well after reading various posts concerning ebay ripoffs, of which I have been a victim too, Here is a success story. Here is an Antoninus Pius sestertius I got off of ebay where a seller misidentified the reverse as Minerva. The reverse just happened to be Juno Sospita! I was not aware of the misidentified reverse until I researched the reverse and realized the reverse was Sospita, not Minerva. The seller listed it at a discount because of the legends! Whenever I think too much about the bad coins I got from ebay I think about this coin and I feel better almost immediately. :) I do still believe in "buyer beware" concerning ebay but if you are careful and a little bit lucky, good things may happen. Oh and yes, the coin is not a fake. ;-)

Antoninus_Pius_138-1.jpg Antoninus_Pius_138-1_1.jpg

Added on: Sep 14, 2017
    Ruler: Antoninus Pius (Augustus)
    Coin: VF Brass Sestertius
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P - Laureate head right
    TR POT COS III - Juno Sospita advancing right, brandishing spear and shield; serpent before
    Exergue:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mint: Rome (140-144AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 23.25g / 32mm / 360
    Rarity: Extremely Rare
    References:
    • BMCRE pg. 210
    • and note = Strack 887
    • Unpublished
    • RIC 608 var (legends)
    Acquisition/Sale: distinctivecoins Ebay $0.00 9/17
    Notes: Jun 13, 18 - See CNG auction 67, Lot: 1503

The Gary R. Wilson Collection

Extremely Rare. From CNG: Strack only identified two examples, in Münich and the Vatican, but the latter of which may have a third example.

Antoninus Pius, August 138 - 7 March 161 A.D.
    Titus Aurelius Fulvius Boionius Arrius Antoninus was born around 86 A.D. to a distinguished family. After a typical senatorial career, he made a name for himself as proconsul of Asia. He was adopted as Emperor Hadrian's heir in February 138 A.D. and succeeded soon after. His reign was long and peaceful, a Golden Age of tranquility and prosperity. He died in 161 A.D., leaving Marcus Aurelius as his successor.

I feel very fortunate to have gotten this coin. The dealer had it listed as a 'Minerva' reverse but as I researched the reverse, I found that it was not 'Minerva' but 'Juno Sospita'. Ha, I feel like I hit the lottery because I paid very little for this coin. I have lost money on coins in the past so this feels great.

NLL, Plumbata, Marsyas Mike and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice! when sellers list wrong, people tend to shy away and you can get a damn good deal most of the time...all my coins come from sellers on ebay and have since i've started 15 years ago...now i've bought a couple of phonys, but overall not enough to complain about, plus i've gotten refunded...i've came in 2nd on the last 10 coins i've bid on, but that happens..+ it's my Christmas gift buying time for others so i really don't mind(much:p)..i've had a good year for coins, even if i don't buy another the rest of the year..:)..my last buy was this dupondius of Antonius for about $10.00 Antonius Pius dupondius 001.JPG Antonius Pius dupondius 002.JPG

4. Gary R. Wilson

Great buy. I've gotten many coins off of ebay over the years. I took about two years off of collecting after I sold my collection and when I came back and checked ebay, I was shocked at the amount of fakes listed compared to just two years ago. And I still got burned. Just got to be careful.

ominus1 likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice!!

Looks like it is a reverse die match to this CNG coin:

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.40.15 PM.png

The CNG coin's reverse outline overlaid on your coin:

CT-GaryRWilson-Api-JunoSest.gif

6. Gary R. Wilson

Yes, I agree. Thanks for the overlay TIF. That's pretty cool.

Paul M. and TIF like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ain't she just amazin'! :)

8. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding that great coin Gary - and thank you for that wonderful overlay TIF!

Kentucky, TIF and Gary R. Wilson like this.
  9. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks for the "congrats" jamesicus. I appreciate it.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:oops:

This reverse type is the most interesting rendition of Juno Sospita I've seen, not that I've seen everything or even a small fraction of everything! Look at her goat skin cape-- the garment is unthinkable by modern standards but artistically compelling in its rendering on this coin. You can see how the carcass was skinned, retaining the leg bones which are flung out behind her.

This is not a fashion I will be wearing any time soon although it would make for a grotesque Halloween costume! Can you imagine trying to explain it to noncollectors? :D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  11. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

+1

Gary R. Wilson likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice find!

13. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks beerlover (as a matter of fact, I'm imbibing with a cold one right now :)).

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Haha, I need to change that...I'm on the liquor now.

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow! What a score!

16. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Great score on that "Silence of the Goats" reverse!

John

TIF and Gary R. Wilson like this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great pick up, it pays to keep your eyes open as there can be some fantastic bargains like yours. I picked up this AP Sestertius very cheap on Ebay a couple years back. Augustus temple (800x387).jpg

Marsyas Mike, Bing, TIF and 5 others like this.
  18. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks Roman Collector.

19. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks Ancient Aussie. Great Coin. Love the Temple of Augustus reverse.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

This scrappy little AP provincial was a Ebay score, not as sweet as your coin @Gary R. Wilson Super cool reverse you got there!

[​IMG]

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted