Lucius Verus, Sestertius (Cleaned)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by britannia40, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That has many diagnostics of a cast fake coin :(. Notice the cracks which are only superficial (filled in). The metal looks wrong. The devices look soapy. Etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. ruud1301

ruud1301 Well-Known Member

Edge looks like all off my roman coins!there's no cast seam in it..

5. ruud1301

6. ruud1301

Same patina..coin has a golden brown tone...called tiber patina..so if its fake...no big deal for me..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@ruud1301

Absence of a casting seam does not mean the coin cannot be a cast forgery. Casting seams can be filed down. Also, casting seams are not always present in coins created by the lost wax casting method, unless the forger didn't bother to remove the seam from the wax model. Lost wax cast coins have only a sprue and that can be filed down and disguised after casting. Keep in mind that some flans were cast so remnants of sprues can be seen on genuine ancient coins.

All other signs of falseness aside, consider the "cracks" on your Lucius Verus sestertius. Flan cracks created during the striking of a coin split the entire thickness of the coin. The "cracks" on this LV sestertius look more like scratches in the surface. The cracks are filled. That is a sure sign of casting.

CT-ruud1301-FakeLuciusVerusSestertius_edited-1.jpg
    "Many ancient coins have thin flan cracks or splits, easily visible to the unaided eye or with low magnification. A flan crack should show on both sides of a coin, passing completely through the coin and be visible on the edge of the coin. A flan split should come to a very fine point at it's apex. No casting method can capture the structure of a crack, or the ultra-fine point of at the end of a split. Only surface look of a crack will be visible and that fine point at the end of a split will be slightly rounded."

From Forum Ancient Coins' Learn To Identify Fake Coins photo gallery, here's an example of a cast coin with tell-tale filled crack (12:00 on the reverse):

[​IMG]
    Evidence of Casting - Metal Filled Crack, Raised Edge on Rim, Soapy
    The metal filled crack is a 100% certain indicator of a cast fake and makes this an obvious fake to even moderately experienced collectors. The raised rims on the obverse and reverse are sometimes found on genuine coins due to edge bumps, but are also common on cast fakes. The details are a little soapy, another indicator of a cast fake.

Here's another example of a cast fake with filled cracks, from FAC's Fakes Gallery:

[​IMG]
    Nero Cast Sestertius
    Orichalcum sestertius, RIC 144, C 307, BMC 184, S 1962, VF, 26.572g, 34.0mm, 180o, Lugdunum mint, 66 A.D.; obverse IMP NERO CAESAR AVG PONT MAX TR POT P P, laureate head left, globe at point of bust; reverse S C, triumphal arch on top statue of Nero in quadriga, on l. Victory w/ wreath & palm, on r. Pax w/ caduceus & cornucopia, wreath in arch, nude helmeted statue of Mars in side niche. Filled cracks confirm this is a cast.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Johndakerftw, Andres2, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

@ruud1301: Unfortunately, I agree with TIF's assessment of your sestertius. It is almost certainly a cast fake if that's metal filling the crack. Should be easy to test with some gentle probing with a hard tool.

9. ruud1301

Ok thanks for the info..

10. ruud1301

I go for a refund from my coindealer..many thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Kentucky, TIF and Roman Collector like this.
  11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great detective work TIF ! I Wonder how much you paid for that coin Ruud.
    Here's my 40 euro coin:

P1150778bVIC PAR3.jpg

P1150778bVIC PAR4.jpg

Also available in silver:

P1210684n.jpg

Johndakerftw, ruud1301 and Bing like this.
  12. ruud1301

Paid 50 euro...

13. ruud1301

I cleaned out the crack..here are the pics IMG_20181030_191227.jpg IMG_20181030_191227.jpg IMG_20181030_191934.jpg IMG_20181030_191943.jpg

Andres2 likes this.
  14. ruud1301

A sort of blueish green came out of the crack

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm not sure what to say. The new pictures, although blurry, are somewhat reassuring but other signs of possible casting remain. Perhaps this coin should be examined by an expert.

16. ruud1301

I did...went to an roman coin expert in Amsterdam..this afternoon with the crack,its no cast fake,but thanks for your comment and doubts.size 30 mm and weight 22.2 grams are good.

Andres2 likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Have you tried cleaning those cracks on those other other coins with "filled" cracks-- the Marcus Aurelius dupondius and the Antoninus Pius bronze? They have a similar appearance which is suspicious in photos, at least to me.

ruud1301 likes this.
  18. ruud1301

Cracks are deep and filled with dirt..

TIF likes this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Cracks, test cuts, holes and others are often filled in. I recently had this tetradrachm not done too expertly:
    5320a.jpg

Bing likes this.
  20. ruud1301

Well?i have a good night sleep now!

Andres2 likes this.
  21. ruud1301

All cracked up!

Draft saved Draft deleted