Lucius Aurelius Verus - Emperor 161 - 169.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I completely agree Doug. Eye appeal means so much more to me than actual quality (and I care not one whit about some tiny difference in style). There are lots of coins out there that might be EF or better for wear but honestly look like crap! A coin can be VG or even lower, but if it has good surfaces and few problems, It appeals to me. But, having just said that I do like coins with weird problems. Give me a clipped coin, cut coin, odd minting errors, etc. Those are uber cool! And usually cheap to boot. I have posted this before, but will again because it illustrates my feelings. I like to think of it as a ham hock coin!
    102.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm sure there are some among us who are not aware of the coin in the British Museum to which Ken refers. They call it the Pig's Trotter leaving Ham Hock available to refer to Ken's denarius.

http://culturalinstitute.britishmus...-pig-s-trotter-appendage/GwGhDHYSrn_y3Q?hl=en

I may have to retract such a bold statement but the coin in the above link may just be the coolest ancient coin in existence. You can disagree but I would trade many pork bellies for one such item.

4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Yes, but there is a significant difference between my example and the BMC one. The BMC coin has been cast specifically while mine is carved or modified to imitate the same thing (or vice versa). Now, as a Pulcher denarius it was struck about 100 years before the Nemasus example, but its impossible to know when that coin was modified. Its one of those numismatic mysteries. It would take some research to see where these were found (likely impossible), and to see what the local culture was to see if there is some significance there. End result, I dont think we will really know (is it really a pig, or something else???). Anyhow, Uber cool! And I am happy to own it (I think it cost be about $15, from a Spanish dealer).

Theodosius and Okidoki like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!! I had no idea that coin existed as it does, let alone it was purposely produced that way. That is beyond incredible.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Lucius Verus 161-169 AD sestertius 29 gram.jpg

I just won this coin in the current MPO auction , it was a live internet bidding session, I had made a prebid of 111 euro, coin started at 70 euro, someone in the saleroom
    was bidding 70 - 80 - 90- 100 and 110, the he gave up with a deep sigh,
    auctioneer replied with: one more bid would have done it, the prebid was 111 euro :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Puckles, randygeki, ro1974 and 13 others like this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

You squeaked by on that one LOL

I suppose we all wonder, when our maximums are exceeded even just by a dollar or any increment, just how far the other bidder(s) would've been willing to go. With my luck, I'd probably hook up with Donald Trump:eek::D

stevex6 and Andres2 like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Really? ... I didn't think that the sprue was cast that way?! ... I thought it was cool because that's how the random coin ended-up being the way it is ... I thought it was merely a misc-blob on the cast sprue

... I have lost all ummmph for the coin, now that you're telling me that they designed the sprue before they struck it!! (I don't believe that they did => I'm hoping that this is a random awesome example!!)

=> the dog in the clouds kinda thingy

9. Just in, yesterday. I think I have two now.
    Lucius Verus Denarius.jpg
    Lucius Verus Denarius 161-169 AD. Rome. Minted 166. L VERVS AVG PARTH MAX, laureate head right / TR P VI IMP IIII COS II, PAX in ex, Pax standing left holding olive-branch and cornucopiae

18.9mm
    3.32g

-Michael

Puckles, randygeki, Bing and 9 others like this.
  10. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Did is Mine Lucius verus
    [​IMG]
    32mm 26.27g

Obv: L AVREL VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS. Draped, bare head right/ rare burst type
    Rev: VICT AVG T RP IIII IMP II COS II / S - C. Victory advancing right holding trophy above captive personification of Armenia. Rare bust

Puckles, Okidoki, Eduard and 7 others like this.
  11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I would have expected the inscriptions to be in pig-Latin. Lol. Awesome coin.

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wow, am I to assume that there are more of these oddly shaped coins out there, and not just a one of ?.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Lucius Verus, Ancient Counterfeit with Faustina II Reverse

39042q00.jpg

14. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I have two representations of Lucius Verus that I can share with you:
    A Sestertius and a 19th century bronze bust...

P1080315.jpg

P1080316.jpg

P1090181.jpg

P1090186.jpg

15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is a very impressive and expressive bust.

Julius Germanicus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted