LRB, What is it

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, here's the story...I saw a post in CT about Julian II being the "Pagan" Emperor and it captured my imagination so I hunted on e-bay to find one of the coins. Of course after I bought it, I left it on the table until I couldn't remember what it was (comes with age...:)). While checking another couple of coins to see if they were magnetic (one is a three pence I posted in another thread that is also magnetic...but that's another story) and this one jumped to the magnet. It is pretty magnetic, but not like an iron coin, more like nickel. I was hoping some people here might have some input as to whether it was real or fake or if coins of this time could be magnetic. @dougsmit ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

This prompted me to see if I had any other Roman coins that were attracted to a magnet. So far I just tested some of the "culls" from cleaning. All of these were attracted to a magnet. I tested some Galerius Zoo coins I had but they weren't attracted.
    [​IMG]

Still wondering if anyone else has any "magnetic" coins.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wouldn't think any of those would be counterfeited. At least not in modern times. I will go down and check some of mine now.

EDIT: Nope. None of them stick to magnets.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Kentucky likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Yup, not big buck coins! :)

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My website had a lot of pages. No one read them all. This one had one paragraph on a magnetic coin. No one ever wrote about the subject and I have never checked all of my coins.

This poor little coin almost went unsold on eBay but I took pity on it and gave it a home. It is not a pretty example of an AE 18 of Pautalia showing Geta and Asclepius. The only thing than makes it special is that it is weakly attracted to a magnet. Bronze coins should not be magnetic. Why is this one? I would guess that it contains a bit of iron (perhaps even an iron core). This could be an accident or something as remote as a special medicinal issue containing material from a meteorite fall. (I said it was remote.) As a collector of meteorites (which contain iron), I was attracted to this coin. If you have any ancient coins that are magnetic, please write.
    pm1510bb1876.jpg

DonnaML, Bing, Kentucky and 1 other person like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Poor Geta, always an outsider.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

I apologize for not reading all of your pages... :bigtears: Did anyone ever respond? The Julian II I bought is pretty strongly attracted, but more in the manner of a nickel coin rather than an iron coin. Of the others I pictured, some were barely attracted. In the link @Victor_Clark provided, I noticed the Galerius coins showed about the highest iron content but the half-dozen I have were not magnetic in the least. If anyone else has Julian II coins, please see if they are magnetic.

9. Kentucky

10. Kentucky

The seller says this one is magnetic also...
    upload_2020-9-27_17-21-16.png

11. Kentucky

Draft saved Draft deleted