Lowest Serial Number You Have ? Seen ?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GoldFinger1969, Mar 28, 2019.

1. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

That's a great note, Steve.....did you get it from CoolSerialNumbers ? That must run a few hundred dollars or so.

4. SteveInTampa

Thanks, but it’s actually two notes. A 1977 and a 1981 with the same serial number and grade. I got them from Dan at Currency America.

GoldFinger1969 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. 707

707 Member

How about this one. I found it about a month ago in my register. It’s warn and I don’t know anything about bills. I only picked it up because I had never seen so many zeros. Is it worth Keeping and what do I do with it.

Attached Files:

6. GoldFinger1969

Not a bad find, but not a pristine note....it's got many visible flaws.

Maybe worth $25 ?

To get a note worth a multiple of face value...you need several factors including rarity (age), serial number, blocks, type (i.e, HAWAII), and condition among other sought-after identifiers.

Go high enough and the note is worth a huge amount relative to face value, like my 1942 HAWAII $1 SC.

707 likes this.
  7. 707

707 Member

some cool info. I don’t know anything about this stuff.
    Yeah it’s a pretty crusty bill that has seen it’s fair share of abuse. I’m not really concerned about value in general. I paid face value for it. Is it worth keeping as a cool little piece of my eclectic collection ?

8. GoldFinger1969

Sure, until you get something better that is preserved and graded.

I think you can get some 1930's SC's with SN < 100 for under $200. In 65 condition !

707 likes this.
  9. 707

707 Member

Where does one find this stuff, I’d be interested in learning more about bills and would love to buy something that I can enjoy

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz Obsolete

These are the two lowest serial numbers I have and were found in circulation

Low-numbers.jpg

11. GoldFinger1969

Read some of the threads in PAPER MONEY here at CT. Check out COOLSERIALNUMBERS.

Get a few cheap SC's on Ebay for starters and check out (before bidding and then buying) the Weekly Currency Auctions over at Heritage.

12. techwriter

techwriter Supporter! Supporter

If it's okay, how about a non-U.S. note? 004 seems fairly low
    russia_1919_10000Rubles_govt-treasury_face.jpg

13. GoldFinger1969

Yeah, but if the printing ends at 3 digits -- 999 -- it's low but not as unusual with millions or tens of millions of bills printed.

14. GoldFinger1969

707, are you a coin collector interested in bills or just starting interest in both ?

What kind of bills interest you -- low SN's, special types (Gold Certificate, Silver Certificate, Hawaii, North Africa), colored seals, cool serial numbers like quads/repeaters/radars/same numbers, etc. ?

Again, best to look at some of the threads including the LATEST ACQUISITIONS thread and see what others are buying. I myself have just gotten active into paper currency in the last year or so.

15. techwriter

Fair enough, maybe this one is a bit better
    rpl_Croatia_1993_Z0000044_face.jpg

16. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz Obsolete

Looking through my binder I forgot I had this one too :)

Low-100.jpg

DarkRage666 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

It's a nice low bill, congrats ST. :D

But value is limited by conditiona grade, if that matters to you.

18. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz Obsolete

Nah, doesn't matter to me.. I collect items because I like them and enjoy the thrill of the hunt and finding them not purchasing them.

Collecting items such as currency/coins or comics books or baseball cards etc. because they're valuable or maybe someday will go up in value seems like a fool's errand. You'd also have to sell them to realize any gains but then you won't have the item. I'm really not an investor I'm more of a collector.

Don't really want to be a caretaker to a ton of valuable items that might need to be insured and protected under lock and key etc..

Just want to enjoy them and not worry about how much they're worth :)

19. SteveInTampa

20. techwriter

Join the SPMC (Society of Paper Money Collectors),
    http://spmc.org/

21. SteveInTampa

Low serial number and a true binary.

F4052EB5-3796-4085-809F-D8455684A17A.jpeg

masterswimmer and GoldFinger1969 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted