Lowest serial number circulation find so far......

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dug13, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Everytime I stop by the local gas-n-go, I always ask if they have received any “strange” coins or bills. Today the guy said he was paid with a couple of 2’s and didn’t have a place in the drawer for them. This was one of them. Low serial number & star note. Too bad the previous owner kept it folded up. E89D06A7-E439-47CE-96FF-A69AC5E3EA97.jpeg

Dynoking, NOS, Michael K and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Very nice find! A serial number that low with a star could carry a significant premium over face. Why would someone spend it? 2 dollars won't buy much today.

mpcusa likes this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The serial number is some what low and the star is a plus, however
    You have to consider the condition, and those two hard folds would
    Be a negative.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  5. Legomaster1

I once found a B00009xxx* $1 note 2013 in circulation. It wasn't a low run, but it was still the lowest number I found in circulation, just like Dug13 found this low number. I remember it had 4 leading zeros and a 9, but I forgot what the last 3 digits were. Someone bought it on eBay for $10.

mpcusa likes this.
  6. mpcusa

Do you keep most of your low number serials and runs ?

Legomaster1 likes this.
  7. Legomaster1

Yes, I do keep them if they are in good condition, a low number, or a low run. I don't keep 2 leading zero notes, and recently spent a worn 2013 B star note $1 with 3 leading zeros. If the note has significant extra value, then I keep it. I don't hold onto notes that are worth only 2 or 3 dollars over face value, as it's too much of a hassle to list it on ebay, package it, and send it.

mpcusa likes this.
  8. mpcusa

Yeah, i hear that, to much trouble for just a couple bucks :)

Legomaster1 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Because they don't know better and don't care would be the reason. :yawn:

Legomaster1 likes this.
  10. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I've only ever found four notes in circulation with only 3-Digits at the end and have saved them regardless of condition and only hung on to a couple 4-Digit notes that were in good shape.. 4-Digits is my threshold for saving as a low number

Legomaster1 likes this.
  11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I think it was probably hidden back in a wallet or purse for emergency or luck.

12. mpcusa

That,s the problem with circulated notes, there circulated..LOL
    Condition is such an important part of value !

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, I used to keep a $5 bill folded and stuck in back side of my wallet so if I found myself desperate for gas or something else, I always had my "mad money." I think that might be why a person spent those $2 bills.
    PS - I still do that today, but it's a $100 bill. LOL

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. mpcusa

That,s called inflation...LOL

15. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

"Condition is such an important part of value"

True, but not everybody collects because they think something is or might have a chance of being worth something some day, a lot of us collect because they think something is cool and just plain like it :)

I personally don't really want something that's worth a ton of money. Once a collectible becomes super valuable it needs to be protected and insured and you become it's caretaker and it has to be locked away etc. and unless you have two of them you can't reap the benefits of it's value unless you sell it... then you don't have it anymore..

16. mpcusa

Its not the only thing, its everything !!

17. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

$2.00 1976 stars printed E 00 000 001*-E 00 640 000*total 640,000 It's at the mid range of rare. Yours E00003396*

18. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

But where 1976 $2 stars are concerned, what's more important is that a large fraction of them weren't issued into circulation at all, but rather sold as uncut sheets after the printing of the series ended. Therefore, for most districts, there are lots of uncirculated stars available. The exceptions are districts E and I, for which no sheets were sold; compared to the other ten districts, these $2 stars are scarcer than you'd think based on the printage totals alone.

NOS likes this.
  19. mpcusa

Agreed, allot people hoarded them as well, thinking they were worth allot
    Of money, not knowing they could just go down to the bank and pic some up,
    In fact when my father in law passed away a few years back he had an envelope
    Full of them, about 500 i believe taped underneath the dresser drawer.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  20. Legomaster1

$1000 worth of $2 star notes?!
    Those might have been worth quite a bit.

21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Two dollars worth of gas could get you home and I've seen the time where I'd gave my whole wallet for a roll of tums or rolaids.

Legomaster1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted