Lowest mintage - modern commemorative half dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by anchor1112, Jan 3, 2017.

1. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

2016 national park service half dollar uncirculated is the lowest mintage for modern commemorative half dollar series. Total sales at 21,335. The highest is the 1982 George Washington half dollar uncirculated Final mintage at 2,210,458. While the 1982 proof version tops 4,894,260.

medjoy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not many people get excited about the boring modern commems. Uninspiring designs commemorating (usually) uninspiring themes. Isn't there already a grand 11-year quarter series commemorating the National Parks, to which the collector community and country have responded with "Meh?" Ask a random person in the grocery store about a commemorative (or the quarter designs from the past decade). I'll bet you none of them can tell you any of them.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. onecenter

onecenter Member

Glad I own one of them!

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The MS gold is 21 off the key date. I bought one last minute in hopes it would be one. If enough are returned it still has a shot!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually people probably said that about "classic" commems when they were new. How many are circulated.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Quite a few of the pre-Depression commems circulated, as did the Booker T. Washington and Washington Carvers. In between, circulated pieces are a bit scarcer, and some are rarer than hen's teeth in circulated grades.

I saw a VF Hawaiian at a show once that I really should have bought. It was a neat coin.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Overall I like the half dollar series, though the last two years have been pretty bad for it. I can't say I am surprised this one had such poor sales, and in the long run I am not sure it will really matter. There may not even be 25k people doing a set of these

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

We'll see in 30 or 40 years. :) Of modern commems in general, I think some of them are ugly, and some of them are really nice. Overall, I think the silver dollars are better looking than the halves.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  10. baseball21

True only time will tell, that design just really didn't do anything for me. I would tend to agree the dollars overall probably are better looking though they have been slacking lately too, but the WW2 half and the Army half are two of my favorites for the whole series.

11. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

A lot of people thought the same. I was watching when the sales were sub 4,000 but they shot up quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.

jwitten likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

People *still* say that about the classic commems. Sure, there are a few people who collect them, but the general consensus for classic commems is "meh" as well.

I don't see much excitement for commems, new or old, now or in the future.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

Is there a source that list quantity of graded coins by PCGS and NGC, by coin and mint? I saw this on that Rick Thomasas show, but could not find it on line anywhere.

14. baseball21

Yes, their respective population reports

15. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

Danke Schoen

16. ernie11

ernie11 Member

With regard to the low-mintage uncirculated NPS half, if you didn't get these before the deadline, if you live in the area you can still get them from the Philadelphia Mint gift shop in their lobby, just purchased a couple this morning.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I think the best comparison between the classic commems and new commem program is that history repeats itself. Once again the mint is running the program into the ground producing coins almost no one truly wants from a collector not speculator viewpoint.

Paul M. and green18 like this.
  18. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I calculated 27 off. Hey, all you hoarders out there, return a couple and make this the key! You'll make more on fewer if it becomes the key.

jwitten likes this.
  19. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

Lowest five mintages for unc and proof half dollar
    21,335 - 2016 national park service
    30,231 - 2015 u s marshalls
    38,095 - 2013 five stars generals
    39,442 - 2011 u s army
    50,077 - 1996 swimming

Lowest five mintages for unc and proof five dollars
    5,174 - 1997 Jackie Robinson
    5,201 - 2016 national park service
    5,667 - 2013 five stars generals
    5,701 - 2016 mark twain
    6,743 - 2015 u s marshalls

Lowest five mintages for unc and proof one dollar
    15,325 - 1996 wheelchair
    16,485 - 1996 high jump
    16,693 - 1996 tennis
    16,921 - 1996 rowing
    21,003 - 2016 national park service

Note that the 2016 national park service. all three coins were among the top five in their respective category. Also some credit cards problems, etc. might reduce the final mintage for national park service.

ddddd likes this.
  20. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

for me the problem is this. if the United States Mint set of commemorative half dollars were in silver then maybe you would have had something. But nobody cares for the most part. I have often thought of assembling a whole set of these for my daughter for a just in case scenario, but I think older coins will prove better in the long run.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the price?

Draft saved Draft deleted