Lower Market Value of 1999 Proof Sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Phil Ham, Dec 21, 2008.

1. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Proof and Mint sets are sooo soft but what are the sleepers?

Most all dealers I have asked in the last month say this is the softest price on Mint and Proof sets they have ever seen. That some of them in the south are only paying 25% to 35% back of bid in hopes the customer will walk away it true - that's the bad news - the good news is once they go this far down they can only recover from here - when, I do not know but probably as the market corrects they will eventually recover.
    The mint has not done us any favors though so much so that nothing but a handful of items are really considered worth a premium now.
    The ones that come to mind are the fractional gold pieces of this past year - the little 10th's, halves and quarters ought to perform well and I think next years Lincoln comems should do very well indeed.
    But nothing the mint has made in the last ten years will out perform a 27-s quarter in VF-35 or a 12-S nickel in the same grade nor should they - these are rare coins and they deserve our respect. I just wish I had not sold mine, "oh well, it's only money".
    Other coins I thnk have a lot of room to go higher are, both flying eagle cents in VF-30 or better, the 1859 also, the mint marked late teens Lincolns in XF original, Buffalos in the same years/grades and. (I'm really going out on a limb here) - all Lincoln Memorials in gem grades. I have been working with them for 10 years now and many are tough esp. if you try to put together a roll or multiples. To find certain dates are impossible to I do so, I think these coins will go much, much higher.
    Ben Peters, (home of The Knoxville Coin Show)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cuzzx

cuzzx Junior Member

1999proofset/2009proofset

so from what i'm reading hear is that i need to buy all the 2009 silver proof sets that the mint puts out because of the changing coins.

have to go see my banker tomorrow, because i will sale most at a big profit and hold onto around 100 for years down the road, hope i don't die.

4. skippy

skippy Senior Member

Well after all these years of waiting it out, I finally did buy the 1999 9 piece clad proof set, with the box and COA paper work, this week for $38, if you can believe that. I just missed ordering it that year back then and would not pay the high prices of a couple years ago.

Just waiting on the silver one to drop down a bit more too... :whistle:

5. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

for many, the 1999 sets are the last pieces of the 20th century (never mind 2000 is the last year of the 20th century) so that might account for the over-hyped prices - i really don't care - in 3 years the silver set will be in line with the 2000 set and in my mind affordable.

-Steve

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And I think that in about three years everyone will be hyping the National Parks quarters, all the new collectors will be chasing those, and the state quarters will be an old has been, yesterdays news and of limited and declining interest. And I think that over time the price of the 1999 set will reflect that decline in interest.

7. namvet4

namvet4 Junior Member

I thought I would bump this thread because I have an interest in collecting these US proof coins.
    Being a newbie to this board, I searched the forums and threads and based on some good advice I started checking the eBay auction price results for this set. So far as I can tell the price is down from the last two years.
    I admit I am still wary of buying on eBay. I haven't contacted a local dealer or checked with the local coin club(s) - don't get out too often! ;)
    So, while I wait for a good price(I want to buy 2 sets) I will keep reading CT and learning. Thanks for the good advice!

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It looks like most everything took a major dump after the price spike in 07

9. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

There's a 1999 silver set on ebay right now, closing in around an hour, currently at 198 bucks......mintage for these is too high to sustain the price that they were realizing in the recent past (imo)... and when a heavy hitting buyer like HSN the market will drop like lead...

10. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Prices will continue to drop.

I've got a complete SAC set except for the 2001 proof and I've been watching that set drop and drop and drop. I can now get the whole set for about 1/3 of what just the 2001 SAC proof was selling for 2 years ago. Now I just have to figure how long to wait......

This is one of the keys in collecting - patience.

11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Ah yes. I remember this thread.

All I can add to it at this point is the last show I went to (Oct. 2009) a dealer had 2, 1999 silver proof sets with mint box. He was asking $160 for either set. I could have bought one of them but decided to pass. It still felt too high and I'm still being stubborn with these.

12. I am in the market for a 1999 silver proof set but they have always been too high in price. I purchased the clad set from the mint instead that year. How far do you think these will drop? OR What do you think is a good buy price in 2010? TC

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I really have no idea what people will do this year. I think the economy is in a depression already and we'll be sinking into a worse depression over this year.
    I'm with you. I've been holding off and taking a wait and see approach with these. I don't think it will hurt at all to let the next quarters program go into full swing for a while and see what happens.

The quarters set only is still going for 160 range on ebay. I'm waiting for them to dip below 100. At that point, I'll give in and buy a set. For better or worse.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Downward trend (price wise) on these issues. I'd expect to see it continue. You guys are in the cat bird seat. Hate to tell you what I paid for this set a few years ago. You are all wise to wait....:)

15. There is a big coin show in my area in late March. I think if I can find this set there for under $100 I will pounce on it. TC

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If you can get a 99 Silver Proof Set for under $100, I'll take one too! I'm serious. The 99 Silver IMHO will never come down as far as any of the rest. The distribution was much less dense because of the household limit of 2. A lot of these sets still reside with their original owners.

17. BUBAGS

BUBAGS BUBAGS

I have been collecting coins since 1974. I am certainly no expert but NEVER EVER buy coins thinking they are an investment! Hugh folly!! It is a hobby. Not an investment. Dealers never pay anywhere near what you paid for something. Thank God Ebay has helped the little guy by allowing him or her the chance to re coup more by being able to sell closer to the retail price. I have seen many people leave the hobby for good once they sell. That's they day they discover they usually have overpaid for overgraded coins. PCGS and slabbed only increase your cost and make others money. My suggestion is Diversity. Stocks,cash,coins antiques art real estate etc. Best of luck to you. :)
    Steve
    Collector/Hobbyist since 1974
    P.S Please be sure to join the ANA

18. BUBAGS

BUBAGS BUBAGS

These sets will be dropping. When the economy improves for a sustained period which it will,interest will drop in these. Plus the new America the beautiful quarter series will probably divert interest as well. :)
    Steve

19. BUBAGS

BUBAGS BUBAGS

Drop they will![​IMG]

20. About Good

About Good Junior Member

These will NEVER be lower than what they are now....The person who said they could of bought a set for $169.00 and passed? You either didn't have the money or your just plain stupid, or just fibbing.. No way would a dealer TRY and sell them for that price, when a Buy it Now, of $175.00 plus shipping on Ebay would bring an INSTANT sell.
    I remember back in 2005 when I (realized they even had silver proofs) just started to collect the Silver proof quarters for my 2 sons. I went to my local B&M store and asked what they had in silver proof quarters... I had no idea of prices. I didn't even think to check FeeBay for these.:eek:dd:
    Well, he said he had 1999,2000, 2001 , 2003 , 2005. He immediatley warned about the price of the 1999 set. That they are expensive. I said how expensive? He says, Well, somebody bought most of the sets from the mint, and they are scarse...He said that thye are selling for $425.00 a set, but he would give me a discount and sell me 2 sets for $385.00 a set..Is that true about someone buying most of them?:rolling:
    Anyway, He sounded very honest and told me that if I didn't buy the 1999 sets now, he said they will be going for $600.00 by the time the series ended..SO I bought them...I also bout the other sets....the 2001 sets cost me $155.00 each due to the Sac Dollar he said, (which I didn't want , but he wouldn't split up the sets). I bought all he had...:headbang:
    Then when I got home., I did look on ebay to see what was going on, and Yes, the 1999 silver proof sets were $360-$450 a set. So I didnt feel like I got had completely...
    After that, I did find out that the mint sold the sets, and just bought them from the mint onward....I now have 2 complete sets of the silver proof state quarters, But I dont need the other coins in the sets and will sell those soon to recoup some of my money.
    I figure I have about $900-1000 dollars into each set. I didnt buy them for an investment, but my god..!!! I bought all of them at the wrong time.!! at the height of the mania...!!!! My sons will have to hold onto these for 50 years to maybe make a profit of some kind. but hopefully they will hand them down to their children....And that to me, is what coin collecting is all about. It is an Heirloom set to hand down, so please don't try to be CHEAP and wait, because these set are at a ALLTIME low, and they wont ever be below $180.00 IMHO. So I think the time to buy is now for those wanting to complete this set. They truly are a beautiful set of coins...;)
    I see these rebounding to $250.00-300.00 soon..!! just my .02..

21. carly

carly Member

I was at the coin store today, and the owner had an entire cabinet of mint and proof sets. He was asking the price listed in Coin Values.

So a 1952 mint set for around $825. I came home at looked at ebay, and three sets have sold recently, for $33, $38 and $43. I went through and checked other sets, listed value verses recent sale price and they're all like that.

I wonder if it's partly a combination of people desperate to sell and not enough willing buyers?

Draft saved Draft deleted