Lowballin' Offers on Ebay??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Dec 20, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Back in 2017, I listed a lot of 100 40% Kennedy halves for I think $255, which was the going rate at the time -- "melt" was higher, but they trade at a discount. I got an offer for $75 from someone, with a note saying "I sell these for $1 each." I rejected the offer, with a polite note that I'd buy as many 40% silver Kennedys as she could sell me at that price. Didn't hear anything back. :rolleyes: (They went for $250.)

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I've seen that happening more but it's still a fairly small amount of the listings for coins. They mostly seem to be on under 10 dollar things. It does hurt your results in the search algorithm though

I'm almost positive there is a way to set it for the automatic combined shipping but I cant remember how or if you need a store or not to do it.

Really buyers should never overtly pay for insurance. It's the sellers responsibility to get the coin to you

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's tons of buyers that just spam countless listings with very low offers seeing if any will work

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I have recently begun to liquidate my holdings on eBay also. When I was selling the junk silver and bullion I got low ball offers all the time. I always just countered their offers. Some went away, others actually accepted my offers. One eBay user low-balled almost every offering. I had shipping on all of those listings anywhere from $3.75 to $9.00. They were all BINs that I did start out high. I had maybe two or three buyers that paid full price.

-jeffB likes this.
  6. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

There is a coin of a type I collect that I have watched get listed and relisted over and over again on eBay for 6 months now. The seller set the starting price for his first auction at $18,000, which is 2x or more likely 3x what the coin would get at one of the national coin auctions.

It is a series I collect, so I see it sit there every week with ZERO bids until the auction time runs. A day or two later it pops up again with another weeklong auction. Rinse, wash, repeat. For a while there the seller was dropping the starting price by $1,000 every couple of weeks, so I figured I would wait until he got down to $6,000, then make a reasonable offer, but he stopped dropping the auction start price when he got to $15,000.

I suspect the offering party is buried, because he displays the coin sitting on top of the 2011 invoice showing he paid just shy of $14,000 to one of the national coin and bullion dealers that pitches numismatic "investments" to their customers.

All of seller's other items are under $200, so this one expensive coin is a real outlier for him.

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

This morning I woke up to a lowball offer on a coin. I was offered almost half of my listing price. The item was a $25 coin. I was going to come up with some smart aleck remark, but, instead, I thought about it and sent him a counter offer with a couple bucks off. Next thing I know my phone cha-chings and he paid for it.

MIGuy and -jeffB like this.
  8. Sbart

Sbart Member

That must be a common line among these low ballers, I can buy/sell them all the time for this. Make me want to say And????? Soo???? Go get you some !!!
    Aw well back to the low ball offers this morning :)

Draft saved Draft deleted