Low Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by acb12345, Jul 23, 2019.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

As long as you like those bills, keep them. I see them as spenders.

Johnny Nashville likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

@Johnny Nashville , respectfully I see absolutely zero collector value in your two notes...they are both fairly worn and both have unremarkable serial numbers. As @masterswimmer mentions, if you like them, keep them.

4. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

[​IMG]

Here's mine I got from the bank.

5. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

how about 3 digit $2 star notes? any answers? sequential numbers

6. SteveInTampa

Depending on condition, these would have value. The consecutive part of the equation doesn’t add much if anything to the premium.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. You must remember that condition for any bill is a key factor. I can't tell from your partial photos, but it doesn't look to be in great condition. Always post FULL IMAGE, full photos, front and back, to get the best answers to your questions.

8. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

I would keep it

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 519 star ten isn't bad.
    Ideally you want to be lower than 100. But 519 is lower than anything
    I've found in circulation.

10. SteveInTampa

The 519* is a very cool circulation find, a keeper for sure. Low serial numbers on modern US currency typically have at least five leading zeros, but I make exceptions when it comes to replacement notes.

A pair of my favorites.

7F4B739C-B474-455F-8983-84F41CE96E9A.jpeg 6297CEBD-B61F-4D18-B802-0841804906E4.jpeg

Sasquatch and Double Die like this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You want at least 2 key traits to make a semi-low number worth something.

For instance, I was going to bid on a Hawaii World War 2 $1 SC....it also had Gem PMG rating....high triple-digit SN.

If you didn't have the Gem PMG rating, the SN would have to be like under 20 to have the same value.

12. GoldFinger1969

QUESTION ON MULTI-FACTOR NOTES: My question is on the general availability of notes with multiple factors or traits to add to their value. Let me give an example since this is the Low Serial Number thread.

Let's say I'm looking at a North Africa World War II note. Plenty of examples, but rare compared to regular Silver Certificates as 70+ years have thinned the herd since the notes date to the early-1940's.

Then I add HIGH QUALITY, let's say PMG 65 (or higher). That thins the herd even more and jumps the price.

At this point...with 2 variables/factors (N. Africa note, high quality)...how RARE in general do you see low serial numbers available at either a decent or obscene price...and how do you define them ?

IOTW...I know that if you get even a recent note with a SN < 10 you're going to pay a ton so I don't expect to get a high-quality N. Africa PMG 65 with < 10 SN.

But are there generally very few or a few < 100 ? What about < 1,000 ?

I guess what I'm asking for is....without paying an astronomical figure, when you have have a specific note and then goto a certain (PMG 65 or higher) grade quality, at this point how much have you narrowed the field to get a low SN in addition to those factors ?

Let's say I'm not interested in SN #34 with a PMG 35 grade. I'm talking Fairly Rare Note + PMG 65 grade....which for many notes only takes you to a few hundred dollars in cost. The $64,000 question is...how much does adding a low SN add and how is that low SN defined (<10,000 ? <1000 ? <100? ) ?

Are there lots of low SN's < 1,000 and even <100 and <10 out there for North Africa, Hawaii, Gold Certificates, Light Green Sales, etc.? Were they put into collectors hands fresh off the presses at BEP ? Or did nobody care about them and many got destroyed, taken out of circulation, or their quality is very low and not anywhere near PMG 58 or higher?

Hopefully this didn't confuse you all too much but I can clarify further if needed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  13. Johnny Nashville

Johnny Nashville Smile.. It's Better to Rock than Roll

I figured.... Haven't collected many bills... I did find this in which I hoped either the 2 were a 9 or the 9 a 2.... LoL... I will keep hunting though... I know it wouldn't have been worth a whole lot but still think it would have been a Kool number nontheless! Thanks for your feedback! It's appreciated!

Attached Files:

14. Joseph seaman

Joseph seaman THE DUKE

A 4 digit number may be a keeper for a newbie for now till you find a 1 or 2 digit number
    Wish you luck in your search

15. GoldFinger1969

Hey Guys....I asked in another thread but figured I'd ask here too....how rare is a combination for a Hawaii WW II note...Gem Quality (65/66) AND low serial number (let's say 4 zeroes, under 2,000)?

I think the price is right for what I am looking at and I have NOT seen any high-quality Gems with SN <100....plus I'm pretty sure if I did find one there, you're talking thousands of dollars. Maybe tens of thousands if < 10. That's based on what recent $1 bills cost just based on super-low SN and high quality and no World War II pedigree.

16. SteveInTampa

Low serial numbers are only available on the C-C block and you can get a 3 or 4 digit note in GEM for way less than $2K.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

I was looking at one with a SN of about 2,000 and PMG 65 for I believe about $500-$700. It was a few weeks ago, can't remember if it was HA, GC, or Ebay.

Hesitated and you know what they say about he who hesitates.....:D

Looking around at some others. No rush, I always have FUN in January.

Draft saved Draft deleted