low-run star note find, finally!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gbroke, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Hello paper troopers!
    I am not a paper collector, however I do keep any star notes I find. Which, has been a decent amount. By that I mean maybe 30-40 of various denominations, mostly singles.
    I always look up the serials in the star note lookup. Except for maybe one bill, the answer as always been the same. 3,200,000 print run. Unless the note is just destroyed, I stash them away.

Anyway, today I found 1 $10 star note, and 3 $1 star notes in my cash loaf. The $10 was another large print run. No biggie.
    Then I looked up the $1's.
    I was pleasantly surprised when this one came up as 1,280,000. I think I had one other in my stash that was this low.
    star2.jpg

I really liked the serial number on this one. I looked it up. Woohoo, 640,000 print run. My lowest yet! coolio.

star1.jpg

Then I looked up this one next. Holy smokes, 320,000 print run! It's all coming up Greg today!

star3.jpg

I don't know values, but am I correct assume the lower print runs are at least a little added value?
    Conditions are all pretty decent. All have a fold, but they are clean and crisp. No tears, or folded corners etc..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

In general, yes, the shorter runs will have higher values. It also helps if the district had *only* short runs printed for that series; if there were some full runs printed as well, then the collectors who only collect by district won't be chasing the short-run notes.

By the way, I'm puzzled by your last note...if it's a 2006 $1, then I think it's a run of 640,000, not 320,000?

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It is a 2006. Hmm, well the lookup says:
    Run Size : 320,000

then it says:
    Run Number: 2

I am not sure what all the info means, maybe that means 320x2 = 640,000? Dunno! All i know is it didn't say 3,200,000! :)

5. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

That means that the total amount of stars produced were 640,000, but in two different runs of 320,000.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh ok. Thank you for clarifying. Way to burst bubble. Well not really, still the lowest for me. :)

7. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Not exactly it... Just to clarify a bit further...

2006 J-* Run 1 was a regular 3.2 million run.

Your note is from Run 2 which is a partial run of 640k.

It seems the "Star Note Lookup" from the My Currency Collection website is in error for that serial number. (It does say 320k, but it should be 640k)

If you look at the actual production records at the two sites: US Paper Money and My Currency Collection, you can see the actual number of notes printed for 2006 J-* Print Run 2 (640k).

So it's still a short-run! Just not as short as you first thought. :)

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thanks for the clarification. Also, welcome to CT!

9. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

You're welcome and thank you! :)

I've lurked around here for a long time, but just recently registered (well, 2 months ago! lol!), and now my 1st post.

BTW, I love star notes! :D Nice finds!

10. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Gbroke, are they all 2006? MOST of my stars finds I get from circulation is from 2006 and NY. (it seems like I find 1 a month)

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Well Shoewrecky, I am not sure, but I think one might be a 2009. They have been stuck with the other notes in my drawer. Never to see the light of day again!

I was shocked to learn that some people rarely find a star note. Then I realized I probably look through more cash in a week than most people do in months. I know some people rarely even use cash. Anyway, my wife is a bar tender, so that's why I have the opportunity to look through so much.

12. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

must be a busy bar??? :devil:

13. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Oh man... I guess I have to reveal myself...

I'm one of these people.
    Though I assure you that myself, nor anyone I know, ever try to "ruin" collectible notes. We strive to rescue them!! :)

But since you posted about the 2006 B-* notes, I have to share my project!

I am currently trying to put together a set from 2006 B-* Print Run 3 and am willing to pay a decent premium over face for any notes from that print run. These would have serials between B06400001* to ~B07100000*.

If you run into any of these and want to make a few extra bucks, PLEASE let me know!!

BTW, just so I'm not completely hijacking the thread... the top note is a 2009, and the other two are 2006. You can tell by the signature(s).

14. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh nice Ryan! Just don't start scratching "wheres Tom" in my nickels, and we won't have a problem. :)
    I will look through the stash and see if I have any of the ones you are looking for. I will PM you if I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted