Low ball help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The beauty is that there's now finally a rationale for cracking out and resubmitting that doesn't involve grade inflation.

Only got a fair 2, not a poor 1?

Crack it out carry it in your pocket for a couple weeks and resubmit.

brokrken, YoloBagels and Mike Thorne like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I went to a PCGS luncheon a couple of years ago at which the theme was the creation of the lowball nonsense. They didn't call it nonsense, of course. My wife went with me and as we entered, we were each given a lowball example, which was a Barber quarter that graded G-4. As soon as I got home from the convention, I listed our samples on eBay and sold them for a lot more than we paid for them, which was nothing. That'll give you some idea of how I feel about the lowball nonsense. I also wrote a column about the experience. I've attached the text file below. Let me know what you think. It was published in Coins magazine, probably in 2018.

Attached Files:

longshot and Mainebill like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

False. Coin forums are largely responsible for the growing popularity of low balls. There are numerous threads on numerous forums dating back long before the low ball registry sets. In fact the registry sets were a result of low ball collectors asking for them

5. Mike Thorne

Interesting comment about how the lowball idea came about. What you're saying is that all the time I've been critical of PCGS for the lowball idea, the service was really responding to the online demand for such a Registry Set. I still think that when you create a winning set, what you've got still looks like coins that should either be spent or melted for any bullion value. The #1 Registry Set of lowball Morgan dollars was on display at the convention where I heard about the idea. To say the least, I wasn't impressed. I still believe in the old adage to buy the best coins you can afford, and I also like honest Goods, Fines, etc., as well as MS65s and up. But that's just me.

6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Whether you like the concept or not, you have to respect that the end of the trail Morgan set represented an astonishing amount of work.

Several of the PO1 coins had no visible date, but could be identified by unique combinations of die markers on the obverse and reverse.

7. Mike Thorne

I don't doubt that it required a lot of work, but I suspect that putting together a Morgan set all in the grade of F12 would take the same amount of work, and the result would be appealing to more Morgan collectors.

8. baseball21

I can remember joining a tread on another forum about lowball commens as far back as like 2013ish and that’s a thread that had been running for a while. There were people doing lowball registries back then too they just obviously didn’t score well at the time.

If I recall correctly PCGS at the time was sort of just like fine if you guys want it here it is and then were surprised by how popular it became. Once they saw that, that’s when they embraced it.

A lot of the various sets (especially the more unique ones) come from requests.

Mike Thorne likes this.
  9. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

How to send a pm to someone, anyone know?

10. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Click on their name and then click on "Start a Conversation"

HoledandCreative and Spark1951 like this.
  11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I do find a certain beauty in early coins that just have a lot of honest wear I find the lowball craze a bit ridiculous though. But I wouldn’t say no to anything bust or flowing hair that’s worn almost flat

Spark1951 likes this.
  12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I agree...I would go for P01-G4 anything pre-1840 or so, but not Morgans or Peace. Any specific coin has to “speak” to you, no matter what date or denom. As has been said before many times, if you like a coin then collect it for your own reasons...imo...Spark

13. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Thank you!

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Look, in my "opinion" people over the years send all kinds of stuff to be graded or authenticated.
    occasionally coins that shouldn't have been sent get sent by novices that think everything needs to be slabbed.

the grade is the grade and the value is the value, whether is slabbed or not. a really low grade, straight graded example MAY sell for higher if it gets enough attention and more than one person wants it.

Anything that for sure won't straight grade by a company isn't going to fly as a lowball though, if it's details, it's a no go.

A lowball set should be put together out of other peoples errors in judgement for getting coins graded. You should not spend your money to get a well worn common date coin graded. it's not worth the costs because unless you have a few people fighting for it, the price will not push up on it. it's going to sell for P or FR money.

This "looking for lowballs to send for grading" is a losing proposition all the way around unless it's a rare keydate or something even then a better example is the way to go. The lowball set builders are a very small market segment and they are doing it and trying to do it on the cheap.

KeyHunter and HoledandCreative like this.
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I see quite a few incomplete albums on different auctions that sell for much more than the individual coins are worth. BK Auctions often has partial albums with only about a third of the holes filled that go for more than I'd ever pay, but the seller is making a profit. I guess newbies that want to start a collection would go for them. Get an old Whitman's album and fill some holes and then list them in an auction.

16. Spark1951

To me, either way, the lo-ball scheme preys on the un- informed and smacks of fraud. And it is contrary to what we as forum members attempt to do: inform and teach what is found is actually what it is.

I have absolutely no dog in the hunt when it comes to the lo-ball craze, other than warning against it...IMO...SPARK!!!

17. Spark1951

...I forgot to mention, I would much rather have a high ball.
    ...Spark

18. baseball21

Theres no scheme and people aren't uninformed nor is it a fraud just because it doesn't interest you

Mr. Flute likes this.
  19. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Lo Ball coins do carry a large premium for a pop 1 coin and is the lowest coin graded for the date and MM.
    also check the pop report to see if you have a low graded for the date.
    Check out the lo ball sets on PCGS site. and you can start your own set and list it for sale if you really don't want to keep them. but it will give some potential buyers a opportunity to see the coins.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/lo...nnedy-half-dollars-low-ball-1964-present/7035

Lo Ball sets are fun to build and find raw to send in, to some this might seem like throwing money away but it is a small amount of money and I just can't buy a MS 68 Morgan dollar in top pop. Many of the lo ball coins come out of the junk box of silver coins and are just silver, very little more.

Draft saved Draft deleted