Love token

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nathan401, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Here is a 1887 UK double Florin. I saw this on the 'Bay, and had to have it. So last year our nephew Jack came to live with us, a young man of 17 at the time. My wife Katie, has been more of a mother than his own, for most of his life. He is another son to us. That is the backstory, now back to the coin: The obverse is inscribed, from Jack to Katie 26-1-90. Due to wear, I'll assume this is January 26, 1890. And the way the date was written, I'll assume they were European of some sort. @lordmarcovan helped me with some insight on this, it appears to have had a pin on the reverse at some point, you can see where it was mounted. Lord M said it looks like 19th century Katie wore this for a good many years. At some point it was gilded(?) with gold, post inscription. I can see remnants of it in the carvings. I bought this as a best offer for my nephew to give to my wife. She LOVES it, and the idea of what it might mean to 19th century Jack and Katie to know it is in the hands of a Jack and Katie again. The seller's pics were much better, and I apologize for that. 10987.jpeg 10986.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice love token and always nice when the names match .
    Yes most Europeans do write the date day, month, and year when ever dating an item. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have it re platted in gold.

Nathan401 likes this.
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nah, this will stay just as it is. My wife has a great affinity for history, and and being able to connect with people in this way really means a lot to her. I guess most of us on here feel similar.

5. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Cool. Glad to see that you found the Katie love token you've been looking for, for months.

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You could have it re-gilded if she wanted, but I rather like it as it is. I'm kind of glad to hear you'll leave it that way. As I mentioned before, that's a cool piece, and the symmetry of the names is fun. It was obviously a pinback brooch when the 19th century Katie owned it.

Great pickup. As time goes on, I find myself liking exonumia items like this even more than mainstream coins.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I was going to point that out to you but just read that you noticed! :wideyed:

Draft saved Draft deleted