Love this buy today!!!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joe Campbell, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Much better pics, the second side of the Arabic coin is upside down, it will be one of the 10 Mazunas, I can't tell which mint at this point.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Me either, but I found it after a lot of searching :cool:

Can you take close up pics of the 1805 coin?

If you're able to rotate the reverse of the Morocco 180 degrees I might be able to identify which mint it is from

Joe Campbell likes this.
  4. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

I thought the same thing. Was surprised the mint considered that so long ago.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  5. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

That coin wasn't made by The Royal Mint, it was made by a Birmingham medalist Joseph Moore between 1844 and 1848 as The Royal Mint had been considering changing the design of the current coinage.

This model coin was so popular with the public that The Royal Mint issued a statement saying it was NOT responsible for its production.

Interesting history behind this. What a great buy by @Joe Campbell with all the different coins in this lot

Joe Campbell likes this.
  6. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

The 'May Norwich Flourish' is a token from Norwich in Norfolk UK. Probably alone worth what you paid for the lot. They are copper coins (usually pennies and half pennies) minted by towns, businesses, etc because of a shortage of the real thing.

Lueds and Joe Campbell like this.
  7. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool lot. I love world coins. They can be had relatively inexpensively and have a huge array of subject matter. Always check the edges of world coins because they do some neat stuff on some of them. I like that 1923 Mexican centavo in the lot.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  8. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Very cool on the Morse code, thanks.

9. Joe Campbell

Thanks. Here’s a few more pictures.

E1A2ED73-D13C-4BD6-B0F8-2080D7977775.png 09F077E1-CA43-41EF-823F-57E8FBD2B450.png 1C9D7538-9D9B-483D-98A2-FC8E72EC0FBF.png

10. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

I hate to nitpick but, the correct spelling is Conder. A Condor is a species of bird. Here is link to world of Conder tokens. Nice haul and should provide hours of fun.

11. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

As do I, but you've replied to the wrong post!

12. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

Mea culpa, I should have responded to Joe Campbell. Next time I'll finish my coffee before responding.

Joe Campbell and derkerlegand like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice post, but gee Joe, all you did was make me jealous. LOL
    I just won a pile of Canadian coins (don't have in-hand yet) for $5 but the darned things cost me $7.95 in shipping. Win some, loose some. Maybe I'll find a great coin among them.

Lueds and Joe Campbell like this.
  14. Joe Campbell

Good luck with your buy. I am a sucker for Canadian coin piles. Pennies, Nickel’s, silver, I buy them all. Love the old 5 cent silvers.

Mountain Man likes this.
  15. Joe Campbell

It looks like the Fes Mint as far as I can tell. Thanks for the help.

Lueds likes this.
  16. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I was speaking of the other Philippine coin, the one that says UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. It was issued when the Philippines was a US possession.

17. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

The 1805 Carolus IIII coin is an 8 maravedis from the Segovia mint

18. Joe Campbell

Thanks for the info. I had thought it was a 4 Maravedis. I’ll have to get it back out and check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted