Louisiana Purchase 2004 Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rggoodie, Dec 20, 2004.

1. rggoodie

rggoodie New Member

I just received a set of 4 Louisiana Purchase nickels since someone found out I collect coins (Australian)- do these coins have any value as collection pieces etc.

2004 Louisiana Purchase-Peace Medal Nickel in four varieties: Brilliant Uncirculated, hologram, layered in 24 Karat Pure Gold, and colorized
    Richard

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In a nutshell - no. Any numismatic value was destroyed the second the coins were altered. The unaltered coin, if a grade rarity, may have some value but it would be minimal even then unless it was an ultra-high grade like MS68 or MS69.

4. revjohn13

revjohn13 New Member

you know, I've heard that before about destroying "numismatic value", but I think they look kind of neat and if you enjoy them then that's all that matters. one of my most prized posssessions is my irradiated dime! :)

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well revjohn I'll agree with your statement completely. Perhaps I should have worded mine differently. But to me, when I use the term numismatic value I am thinking in terms of dollars - I guess I shouldn't.

Just because something isn't valuable monetarily - that doesn't mean it is not collectible - for it certainly is.

Draft saved Draft deleted