Louis XVI question, and other new acquisitions.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lincolncent, Sep 19, 2011.

1. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Ok, so for some reason my camera has decided to disappear but I picked up quite a few world coins today. Paid 12.64 and got 5 Phillipines copper 1 centavos (1905, 1910-S, 1912-S, 1918-S, 1944-S), a 1903 half centavo, and two 5 centavos (1934-M and 1944-S). Also got a 1947 six pence, an 1854 Napoleon, and a Louis XVI coin. Not too bad for 13 bucks IMO. The last coin is the coin in question though. The back is pretty worn so the date isn't readable, but I was wondering if there was a way to bring the date out without damaging the coin too bad? The obverse says LUDOV XVI D. GRATIA. The reverse is very hard to make out though. Thanks for any input and as soon as I can find that darned camera I'll post pics! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

The obverse legend reads "Louis XVI By the grace of god" in Latin I believe. I believe vinegar will reveal the date but it will very much damage the coin. Nic-A-Date works better I think but it will still damage it.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

It will be dated between 1774 and 1793, if its bronze coin I see little point in trying to recover the date if it is worn away.

Draft saved Draft deleted