Lot of 3

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Jan 12, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

So for a while (years) I've had a handful of coins that I wanted to pull out and decide which I was going both photographing. A few weeks ago I pulled them out and today I was getting ready to go through them, when I got a knock on the door. It was the mailman with a distraction for me.

Recently I bought a lot of 3 coins, all a bit glossy but all nice. I Grabbed the lot for this coin, another FH from Alexandria with a very nice style.

consIIftrfhalx121 (1).jpg
    DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG Constantius II pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO soldier spearing Horseman, bearded, bare-headed, reaching, reaching
    ALEΓ in ex. Γ in left field

Alexandria 72 var (headwear)

This one has a nice black patina, but was the hardest to snap of pic of.
    cntcomem1r (1).jpg

City Commemorative, AE Follis. Lyons. CONSTAN-TINOPOLIS, laureate and helmeted bust of Constantinopolis left wearing imperial mantle and holding spear / No legend, Victory standing facing, foot on prow, holding sceptre and resting left hand on shield. Mintmark: PLG. RIC VII Lyons 241; Sear 16445. R1

This one came with "ex Bridgnorth 2007" on one of the tags. I'm assuming It's from the Bridgnorth Hoard discovered in 2007. The patina is very similar and there were 184 galley types of Constans and Constantius II from Trier with the hoard. These 3 all came from a UK dealer as well.
    cgftr1br (1).jpg

Constans, AE23. DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, emperor on galley left, holding Victory on globe and labarum, Victory seated to right at the helm. Mintmark: TRP.
    Trier
    RIC VIII 219

Ex Bridgnorth 2007

A much nicer group than what I pulled out to photograph.

FullSizeRender.jpg

maridvnvm, stevex6, 01mikep and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Holy smokes,

very nice indeed i wish i could make those pictures :D

randygeki likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks :D I still have room for improvement though. Heres the sellers pics.

Kcc73aY2S6Je9GpPwA75F2RoiD4HJs.jpg

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a "hoard" coin. It's interesting to know some of the circumstances of a coin's burial. It's on the wish list.

randygeki likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, Randy. I like the top especially.

randygeki likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Nice looking LRBs

randygeki likes this.
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Those are wonderful coins Randy! A very nice distraction indeed.

randygeki likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I like all three but especially the Constantinopolis. The Goonies background is also the best one I've seen in some time :D.

randygeki likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's hard to pick a favorite of the three-- they're all excellent. You did a great job in photographing those darkly patinated and shiny coins!

randygeki likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all :) The goonies dvd was just th first thing I grabbed, and it seemed to fit well :)

I do have another Brigdnorth hoard coin
    aZD2ok4MT69x2Kt59oBBzF7md8mGHi.jpg
    BGN353 - Constantius II (A.D. 337-361), Pre-Magnentian Revolt, AE Centenionalis, 21mm, 5.14g., Arles mint, first officina, A.D. 348-350, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of the Emperor right, A behind head, rev., FEL TEMP REPARATIO, PARL in exergue, helmeted soldier spearing fallen horseman, A in field, (RIC 119/121-22; Bridgnorth Report #79), very fine. RIC Arles 118

Ex Bridgnorth Hoard, Shropshire, England, buried circa A.D. 355, discovered 2007.

"On October 10th, 2007 a metal detectorist discovered a large scattered hoard of late Roman coins that had been disturbed by deep plowing in a potato field near Bridgnorth, Shropshire. His subsequent actions are praised in the UK government 2007 Portable Antiquities and Treasure Annual Report, where local finds officer Peter Reavill states: “The finder is to be congratulated on the careful plotting and speedy reporting of this hoard as it enabled the excavation to take place and vital depositional information recorded. In turn, this minimised the impact to the landowner and his farming activity.” The majority of hoards that come to light are found outside of planned archaeological excavations, the original owner having selected a secluded spot to conceal his or her wealth away from human habitation, leading to loss of information on the archaeological context of the hoard. In this instance, swift action and close cooperation by the finder and the local Finds Liaison Officer led to an excavation of the findspot. The results of which showed that the hoard had been contained in a large pottery vessel (broken by the plow), most probably previously used as a cooking pot as evidenced by burns marks on the outer edges. The pot had been buried in a U-shaped gulley or ditch that formed part of an otherwise unknown late Roman site.

The hoard consisted of 2892 coins, ranging in date from a Reform Antoninianus of Probus to post Magnentian issues of Constantius II up to A.D. 355. The majority of the hoard was issues of Magnentius and Decentius (75%), followed by pre-Magnentian issues of Constantius II and Constans (18%) and closing with post Magnentian issues of Constantius II and Gallus (7%)."

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've shied away from LRBs lately, but these three look nice enough to draw me back. Good catch @randygeki

randygeki likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Randy: FANTASTIC coins and GREAT photos! Come to my place and take pics of all my coins. I admit that I am a photographic-ingrate!

randygeki likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's some nice lookin' LRB RG! i dig alexandria coins and black patina!

randygeki likes this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all ^_^

Check out Dougs post (and his web page) on photography of coins. I just have a set up loosely based on what he and others have posted here. I used my Iphone6 for the pics. Heres a pic of my set up I've used for a while, was a little pricey with the cool whip bowl :D The only real changes are a shorter dowel and LED daylight bulb.

0111.JPG

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool additions Randy. Like Bing I slowed down on LRBs by the end of 2016 but added a couple in January...they're in the mail.

Below is the only hoard coin I have, in hand:

[​IMG]
    Gallic Empire, Tetricus I, AD 270-273
    Æ Antoninianus, 19x17mm, 2.49g, 1h.
    Obv.: [IMP C] TETRICVS PF AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: HILARI[TAS]; Hilaritas standing left holding cornucopia and palm.
    Reference: RIC 5b 79 (IMP) or 80 (IMP C).
    Ex-Braithwell Hoard, 2002; Report #180 and there were 67 examples of this coin in the hoard

This was my first Gallic Empire and first hoard coin and began my interest in collecting these coins. The coin was challenging for me to shoot because it's so glossy.

17. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

nice coins:facepalm: i keep it by the old sestertius

randygeki likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That one is cool. It's hard to find a balance between the glare and the coin sometimes.

Jwt708 and ro1974 like this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

sweet => wow, your blue-garbage photography seems to be a total winner (congrats, geki)

I like all three of your cool OP-examples (the 3rd one is my favourite) ...

[​IMG]

... ummm, but only because I don't have an example of this type ... (yet)

Alegandron, Bing and randygeki like this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I really like those. Lots of detail, nice style, good centering, attractive patina...

What's not to like about these coins?

randygeki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted