Lot of 20 Sestertii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nicholas Molinari, Jul 16, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow!!!

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Group lots are, without a doubt, my favourite thing. I really enjoy getting the mixed bag of coins and going through them all. Hoarding over them. Picking my favourites to keep for myself and sending the others on to new homes.

Sure you don't get the highest quality of coins all the time (unless you are shelling out serious cash for some of the lots) but you get boatloads of fun.

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow...going from 0 to 20 in one fell swoop! kool..look 4ward to seeing them all! :)

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..wow melord... you are a mod now...kool! (now i got some pull upstairs(jk)) congrats!:0

Theodosius and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  6. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I looked at this lot, but didn't bid. I can't wait to see your results, lots are so much fun.

7. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Looking forward to the details. It’s like Christmas in July.

Justin Lee and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Why do CNG publish photos with only a few of the coins in each group lot?

People generally want to see what they're buying - especially with a "no returns" policy on group lots. Makes no sense.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Time is money. If the coins were worth the effort of individual treatment, they would not have been lotted together. There are exceptions here that I can not explain. Most notably were all the lots of AK Collection that CNG sold but had a separate page for each coin in the lot. They appeared in more than one sale. On the link below, click on a number to see coins sold together under that number and click on 'details' to see more.
    http://ak.cngcoins.com/

GregH and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  10. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

The allure of the unknown drives up the price, I think. I just hope the sample is indicative of the quality of the rest. Also, depending on the size of the lot it might make sense to limit it to a few examples.

TIF likes this.
  11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Fair enough - I guess some people like to play lucky dip. Mind you, i'm always on the look-out for a group lot of coins that aren't my specialty - Roman Republican, Sassanian, or Byzantine... so i can start an instant side-collection and learn about the coins.

12. Nicholas Molinari

That’s precisely what I did here. A fun summer project and they’ll be great for library exhibits throughout the school year (they can’t all be about Acheloios, lol).

GregH likes this.
  13. Nicholas Molinari

14. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Don't tease us!! Open that sucker and let's see what's inside!

15. Nicholas Molinari

Here are the contents, from what the flips say. A great mix. Condition is fairly consistent. The Postumus coins are a bit rough and a few reverses aren't very clear, but altogether no tooled or problematic (BD) coins in the group, with a great range of 19 rulers/ladies (there were 21, not 20, so about $60 per coin):

Hostilian (16.02g, S 9573)
    Philip I (18.02g, S 9015?)
    Philip I (18.68g, S 9004 or 9005)
    Trebonius Gallus (15.29g, S 9683)
    Herrenius Etruscus (18.83g, S 9534)
    Maximinus (20.39g, S 8338)
    Postumus (S 11087)
    Postumus (30.11g, S 11040)
    Gordian III (16.48g)
    Aemilian (13.03g)
    Volusian (18.09g, S 9784)
    Trajan Decius (15.50g, S 9404)
    Philip II (17.22g, S 9249)
    Maximus (22.03g, S 8411)
    Valerian I (17.71g, S 10022)
    Gallienus (18.64g?, S 10495)

Mariniana (14.50g, S 10073)
    Orbiana (18.27g)
    Herrenia Etruscilla (17.15g, S 9505)
    Julia Mamaea (17.72g, S 8228)
    Otacillia Severa (19.87g, S 9166)

How did I do? I have closeups if anyone wants to see one.
    4ED8DC81-D407-4FA4-B28C-CB8BF3A94A6E.jpeg
    EC4C72A9-C8F3-41AC-A21D-50CFFECD46D1.jpeg

16. Nicholas Molinari

And here is Livy helping open them:

B18EC521-44FA-4D9D-B9CB-AEF35D4C8064.jpeg
    FEF71B1B-2666-4DEF-80E1-9ED213E23187.jpeg

17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'd say you did very well indeed!! The Max Thrax and Herennia Etruscilla are particularly beautiful. I also like the Hostilian, the Aemilian (I believe that's quite a rare reverse... it's the one with the emperor holding patera, signum behind, right?), and the Orbiana too. I'd love to see closeups of any/all of those. (Well, I'd like to see closeups of all of them, really! :D)

18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

That really is an excellent lot. I don’t know why they only photographed six of the coins, when there are so many gems here including some scarcer rulers. Some of these coins are worth well over the $60 you paid (Orbiana, Mariniana, Aemilian, Hostilian) and some are worth perhaps less. But overall, you did very well.

19. Nicholas Molinari

That is good to know- I really have no idea about values when it comes to Roman coinage. I was pleasantly surprised when we went through the bag at all the different rulers. The only problem is, now I want more.

Jwt708 likes this.
  20. Nicholas Molinari

Will do as soon as the kids give me a break!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We see this best with uncleaned coins. After they are cleaned and sorted, you know there is nothing 'special' there so the group of hopes downgrade to just more of the same things that were in the last lot.

I am a cheapskate and I think you did well. I suspect that was the collection of a deceased collector I would have enjoyed meeting. I wonder if they removed his Balbinus etc.?

I was aware of famous Romans Livy and Pliny the Younger. Would that be Livy the Younger? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted