Lost Trier Follis Finally Located

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The follis pictured below I bought many years ago & lost track of it when I moved to Churchville, NY. This weekend I found the coin at the bottom of a storage box :happy:. The coin is nothing special, in fact I rarely buy a follis with an odd shaped flan, but this coin had such a handsome classical Roman portrait I couldn't resist. The folles of Galerius as Caesar struck at the Lugdunum Mint were very Eastern in style, & look blocky & cubist like the coin below it.

Galerius as Caesar, RIC VI 344b (2).jpg
    Galerius as Caesar, AD 293 -305, Trier Mint, 2nd Officina (struck 298 - 299) AE follis: 9.43 gm, 28 mm, 6 h. Reverse: Genius with patera & cornucopia. RIC VI 344b.

Galerius as Caesar Lyons Mint, RIC_167b (2).jpg
    Galerius as Caesar, AD 293 - 305, Lugdunum Mint (struck c. 301 - 303) 1st Officina. AE follis: 9.66 gm, 25 mm, 6 h. Reverse: Genius with cornucopia & patera sacrificing over flaming altar. RIC 167b. Rare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We are very different. I went out of my way to buy this Maximinus II because of its odd shaped flan. The Rome mint style was just a bonus.
    ru4120bb1616.jpg

DonnaML, Bing, Valentinian and 5 others like this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I wish I could find a couple of lost things from over the years, one a 1670 Bristol England farthing, the other a 1917 Commercial Bank of Scotland £1. I have found stuff lost for up to about five years, but those are both going on 20+ years now.

Pellinore and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted