Lost out in the CNG auction this morning

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Mar 11, 2020.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I was bidding on a somewhat rare billon tetradrachm of Saloninus as Caesar from Alexandria. I had the winning bid for the last 5 days but got sniped at the last second. I tried to outbid buyer with 8 seconds left but then the SOLD message came up with about 5 seconds remaining! Aargh! Just a bit slow on the trigger I guess. I hope a fellow CTer was able to snatch the coin. It was an original Dattari coin from that collection.
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I feel bad for you, happened to me many times:( There are always many more nice coins coming up in future auctions.:)

4. ancient coin hunter

Yes, I hope so. I guess there are always more coins. Something interesting popped up on the M-A shops email notification this morning that I am going to get. Consolation prize.

5. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

ugh...yes, I slowly lost out on several bids. I bid, it stuck for days, then, in the wee hours of the morning, the competition struck! I woke to find I was outbid several times! I did win one though! I have been waiting for the "right" Kings of Macedon drachm, and saw one I liked. Oddly, my bid stuck for a bit and I won. Its not perfect, but love the
    detail!
    4-AYKCY.jpg

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..Salonius coins are hard to achieve...but believe me, there are more out there....the hunt goes on...:)

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've had the "last second" loss to many times to count. But here are my only Salonius examples: Saloninus 2.jpg
    SALONINUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    REVERSE: SPES PVBLICA, Prince, holding spear and Spes, holding flower standing face to face; wreath above
    Struck at Samosata, 259-260 AD
    2.81g, 22mm
    RIC V 36 var.
    Saloninus 1.jpg
    SALONINUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: SAL VALERIANVS CAES, radiate draped bust right
    REVERSE: PRINC IVVENT, prince standing left holding baton & standard
    Struck at Lugdunum, 259-260 AD
    2.2g, 21mm
    RIC 10, C 61

8. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

I have win today CNG 463 , 2 Kings of Macedon drachm one lot 22 for 90 usd and the second one really beautiful lot 26 for 250 usd. I was hoping to got a nice Sestercius and I got 2 Greek monney . Anyway the Sestercius went too pricey as the denarius nearly X 3 the price.

Lot 22

AFC094DF-8C0E-4561-BAC8-3670303AF085.jpeg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’. 336-323 BC. AR Drachm (17mm, 4.32 g, 12h). Miletos mint. Struck under Philoxenos, circa 325-323 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, legs crossed; monogram in left field. Price 2090; ADM I Series I. Toned, traces of find patina, struck from worn obverse die.

Lot 26

1CCFDBA9-D36B-48AF-9D2A-DE0276DE5BBD.jpeg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’. 336-323 BC. AR Drachm (16mm, 4.27 g, 12h). Sardes mint. Struck under Menander, circa 324/3 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; monogram in left field, club upward to outer right. Price 2550; ADM I Series IX. EF.

The club on drachms of this issue is depicted either facing upward or downward. Neither Price nor ADM differentiate the two.

As I am more on Roman I will be happy to know what you think of them hoping that not fakes as I doubt a lot about Greek coins feel more comfortable for Roman coins , to understand more and if the prices is not too high. I accept to learn by mistake no problem.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  9. ancient coin hunter

Just picked this one up. Like I said, a consolation prize and continuing my trend of buying Alexandrian coins.

BI billon tetradrachm 68-69 A.D. ROMAN EMPIRE emperor GALBA, Egypt, Alexandria dated RY 2 = 68-69 A.D. VF+ light grey toning

Grade: VF+ light grey toning
    Catalog: Köln 233-4; Dattari (Savio) 310; K&G 17.14;
    Material: Billon
    Weight: 7.18 g
    Diameter: 24.00 mm

Obverse: ΣEΡOΥI ΓAΛBA AΥTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA, Laureate head right; L B (date) before

Reverse: EΛEΥ-ϑEΡI, Eleutheria standing left, resting elbow on column, holding wreath and scepter; to left, simpulum

Will share a new photo when it arrives. Also, I only need Caesar, Otho, and Vitellius to wrap up the 12 Caesars.

galba1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  10. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

The Otho at CNG we’re quite pricey one

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  11. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

That happened to me too a couple of auctions ago! I placed my bid for a Drusus sestertius in the last 8 seconds, and it said I was winning, and then all of a sudden at 2 seconds I was outbid! I was in shock, but in any case I don't think I would have been able to type in a new bid fast enough!

ominus1 and ancient coin hunter like this.
  12. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

You lost...
    Well, I lost...

Though, to commiserate here’s one that I was reeeeeeeeally excited about that I lost out on in this morning’s Munz Zentrum
    upload_2020-3-11_17-35-49.jpeg

A Roman imperial Macedonian shield coin with nearly as many Celtic appearing influences as Macedonian. At least, this far removed from when they first started popping up some 300-400 years later.

13. ominus1

..who ain't been there eh?!..but i like juice anyway..you know, that feelin' in the last 5 seconds of 'oh wow!! i gonna win' feelin' then 'SPLAT"...><...what a emotional rollercoaster :D

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Not to make you feel worse about losing it, but cool coin! I don't recall seeing that type before and it would have fit so well with your collection :(. I'll keep an eye out for the type for you.

ancient coin hunter and Ryro like this.
  15. ominus1

...find another coin...fall in love all over again and it will come to your... emotional rescue.png

TIF, ancient coin hunter and Ryro like this.
  16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Awww shucks...

17. ancient coin hunter

I like your avatar @Ryro - that interesting character Bes.

Ryro likes this.
  18. svessien

svessien Senior Member

That’s a beauty for sure. I was looking at those drachms too, but as they (understandably) went way over estimate, I decided to bid another day. That reverse is quite artistic.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  19. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

It seemed to me that MANY things have gone for over estimate in the CNG auction....could they be unrealistically low?

20. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Perhaps the bidders are paying unrealistically high?
    Some coins, like some of the Alex. III drachms, will always catch a premium, because they are better than the 90%, or rare. The rest of the coins are readily availible all the time. I’m glad the estimates are sober. With US coins and many world coins, there’s a lot of hype, I think.

panzerman and KeviniswhoIam like this.
  21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would say, with US coins there is a lot of hype (why are prices stagnant/ dropping) reason US coins where way overpriced/ relationship to rarity. Look at the 1933 Double Eagle (now 15 known) still a $7 M coin/ ditto for 1804 Dollar. There are Roman/ Greek rarities/ less then 5 known, sell for 10K. Most World/ Ancients in high quality/ are excellent bargains/ considering true rarity.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted