Lost lost MATTE PROOF?!?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

You know.. you haven’t post picture from directly above the coin..obverse and reverse... it’s always been at angels.. if your not trying to hide something and build yourself up like you are then you can post true picture that can be attributed correctly... I don’t believe that you have what you say you have. It is a very nice coin but it not a matted proof...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

LOOK AT THOSE OBLIQUE ANGLES, THE ARTFUL SHADOWS AND BLURRED FOCUS, THE IN-FOCUS CLOSE-UP WITH A FINGER OBSCURING THE V.D.B....

4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the 1969-S LMC doubled die. Surely he has that one too. There was a poster at NGC forums that had a 1969-S LMC that he would not take no for an answer on it being a DDO. Same MO as this guy. Crappy pictures. Evasive. Argumentative. Eventually no one responded to his thread and I guess he ended up here.

5. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

This appears to be just like the 1988 DDO that he posted and replied to many times. Hey @Hunting Rare! Did you send it in? This doesn’t appear to be a proof. I hope I’m wrong on both accounts for you, I love to see someone find a gem!

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Initially the rims looked a bit wide.
    But other than that, nothing looks like anything other than a business strike.
    "It's a proof trust me." So pay the money and have it certified and graded.
    If it comes back a proof I will admit I was mistaken and congratulate you.

Hunting Rare likes this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

The strike just isn't that strong, especially for a proof that has been struck twice. Compare to my business strike of 1909, which is known for very good strikes to begin with. Polish_20191221_210122440.jpg
    The letters and rim and bust are just super strong.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Michael K and hotwheelsearl like this.
  8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

A few years back I submitted some Lincoln VDBs to NGC. They all looked very sharp but I knew they weren't matte proofs - they were simply nice examples that I expected to come back as MS and problem free (and they did). Take a look: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pl...909-vdb-lincoln-cents-x7.295679/#post-2727986

This one's my favorite of the bunch I submitted, but it's also clearly not a matte proof because the dot is not centered after the "D", and the other die markers weren't there.

[​IMG]

Michael K and Mike185 like this.
  9. Hunting Rare

Hunting Rare Active Member

I'm telling you guys this is a circulated 1909 V.D.B. Matte Proof Lincoln Cent.....regardless of how bad my photos are.

IMG_6647.jpg IMG_6695.jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.21.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.34.29 AM.png

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There is no way to tell where the dot is in your last photo.
    My instinct says it is going to come back as genuine 1909 VDB- XF 45.

YoloBagels likes this.
  11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

What does the PCGS slab state ?
    that's the definitive answer.

12. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

That dot looks like it's right next to the D and not between the D and B.

InkedScreen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.34.29 AM_LI.jpg

Dynoking and bradgator2 like this.
  13. Hunting Rare

Yeah, definitely not. I'd have to be an idiot not to check that first thing right off the bat.

14. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Ok, keep us updated when you get this coin back from the TPG.

Hunting Rare and Oldhoopster like this.
  15. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

I was sitting a bit on the fence here.......but now I've fallen over to the "It's Not A Proof" camp.

16. Hunting Rare

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You're repeating yourself.

Dougmeister and Hunting Rare like this.
  18. Hunting Rare

Can even see crescent die chip, middle dot and even die crack through it if you zoom in enough.....But the small "R" in "AMERICA" compared to the business strike matte looking example earlier in this thread is one dead giveaway. Not to mention the small cud on the reverse rim at 4 o'clock which matches attributed V.D.B. M.P.L.'s of the same die stage, which is LATE. And also a die crack between left wheat stalk and left rim which is pretty long and seen on all L.D.S. V.D.P. M.P.L.'s.

s-l1600.jpg

19. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Send the darn thing to a TPG and quit screwing around. :banghead::facepalm:

Nobody can say for certain if it has the key diagnostics, based on your pics. All you're doing is alienating members and getting on a lot of Ignore lists.

Send it in and post the results when it comes back

20. Hunting Rare

ALRIGHT! Last 2 because they looked cool and you can see how amazing the strike is even after wear. I'm changing my grade back to PR50 no details.

IMG_6756.jpg IMG_6758.jpg

21. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Deleted unhelpful post. Let's all chip in 1$ so OP can send his coin off for authentication.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted