Lost lost MATTE PROOF?!?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Mar 14, 2020.

1. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Nope. No doubled ear either.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunting Rare

Hunting Rare Active Member

Wrong.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It’s not a proof until a TPG says it’s a proof.
    We can discuss and debate all day but when jt comes down to it, the only true authority is a grading company, because their reputation is on the line.

As we all say to everybody who claims to have found a monster, there’s no use yelling at us, send it in and you’ll have your proof of a proof.

wxcoin, mikenoodle and sambyrd44 like this.
  6. robec

robec Junior Member

I'm not seeing the diagnostics for a VDB proof. No scratches in front of the nose, no die chip after UNUM, can't see the dots clearly, the arrows are pointing to nothing identifiable. If this were to receive a numerical grade it would be something between XF40 and 45, not close to AU. There is too much wear for AU. I don't see this as a proof, unless you can come up with some better, clearer photos.

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Even if you sent the coin in, neither NGC or PCGS, is going to call that coin a matte proof. Go look at their census on matte proofs. Your coin will get sent back VF details 1909 VDB. Worth $5.00.

8. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Love your passion, Hunting Rare! Who knows? Maybe one day, many moons from now, our esteemed friend here will have a proof named after him. "The HR Proof" kind of has a ring to it. And the "HR" has nothing to do with Abner Doubleday's game. Bag that monster, Hunting Rare!

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Hunting Rare These are the die markers you need to match EXACTLY. @robec is providing you with with info based on a lot of experience in early Lincoln's. You would be wise to pay attention to his posts

wxcoin likes this.
  10. Hunting Rare

Yeah, I know man. I've done my homework. Zoom in, you can see the crescent shaped die chip next to the "M" crystal clear even through the plastic. Proof. This whole thread would be going drastically different if I could take a good coin picture to save my life.

Attached Files:

11. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

wow @desertgem ... have you posted that before.. can we see it?

Hunting Rare likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Please send in to a TPG to have it graded and post the results. In my humble opinion, I'm repeating thst this coin is NOT a matte proof. It would be nice for me to be wrong.

Hunting Rare likes this.
  13. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Take pictures OUTSIDE of the damn plastic

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And you just tipped your hand on your actual motivation here. AND stepped over the line on CT rules, I think.

15. robec

robec Junior Member

I haven’t seen one photo that clearly shows a diagnostic. Send in and let the grading company sort it out or get some more convincing photos. The pixilated out of focus photos are basically worthless.

wxcoin, Hunting Rare and Oldhoopster like this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Unless, of course, you're actually trying to find a sucker, erm, buyer for it.

wxcoin and hotwheelsearl like this.
  17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you were smart , I would suspect you would now send it off and not say any more until you get it back. I forget , have you ever sent in anything you posted with bravado, and it was what you claimed? If it is a proof , you have an expensive coin,and I have already wished you good luck, but wait until it is graded. Until then it is just a 1909vdb XF. And NO I do not trust anyone with a coin until I see excellent photos or in hand, why would anyone? There is not a single sharp photo that you posted that shows the edge well enough. So send it in, or study it more. IMO, Jim

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Mike, I only have the before photos, I will have to find the slab at the bank. It is not a -vdb-, but it is a proof.

09pfobv-1.jpg

09pfrev-1.jpg

Jim

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I am not seeing the diagnostics. Even with your arrows and circles I just don't see them. If you are that convinced just send it in to be attributed, but be sure to show us the results.

20. Hunting Rare

Reflective edges, full matte rims, quality and consistency of devices after circulated wear down to around PR45ish. I will be sending this in, absolutely. I'll try to get you guys some better pictures while we await results...

IMG_6674.jpg THIS LOOKS LIKE AN IMPAIRED MONSTER TO ME!

IMG_6675.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  21. Hunting Rare

PROOF!
    IMG_6685.jpg LOOK AT THAT STRIKE! LOOK AT THE COLORFUL TONING ON THE MATTE FINISH NOT WORM AWAY UNDER "I.G.W.T."!

IMG_6680.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted