Lost Civil War Token Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Honolulu Dick, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

Either yesterdays thread about the Civil War Token or this dummy [pointing at myself] is or has become lost. Read it in the morning, Hawaiian time, tried to find it again in the evening when more time was available [most everyone was asleep] and POOF, it had vaporized.

To the military collector, some decent info was contained in the thread. Wanted to print the content for source data and/or future reference.

Loved how the original owner had emigrated from Germany, in his early twenties, and joined the Union Army of his newly adopted country. Good on him! Vastly different than the slippery illegals sneaking across the border now and flying the US flag upside down, beneath the red, white and green. Bad on them!

Returning to the missing thread, can some good soul point me in the right direction and boot me in the butt so I can find this thread again?

In the Hawaiian language, mahalo = thank you.

Mahalo!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. Honolulu Dick

Absolutely! Good man! That's exactly the one!

Under which forum title is it currently listed? Any explanation why it was vaporized?

My initial reaction was that the "thought police" were being hyper-active again. And for reasons unknown. Kidding, just kidding.

Mahalo for your quick response and the quick link reference. Good on you!!!

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

it is still there, I just did a search for it.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's in the "What's it Worth" forum.

7. Honolulu Dick

OK, guys, thanks!!! There it is, in the one forum I failed to check. The title 'dummy' seems to apply.

Was interested in playing with this topic for a while because the round ID tags of the Civil War are somewhat similar to those used during WW I. The info stamped into them differs, but as far as size and shape are concerned, they are close cousins. Back in 'the day' you were in your unit for the duration - several enlistments, the war or a career - therefore, your unit designation was included on your Dog Tags. The newly shaped Dog Tags of WW II were stamped with the name of your NOK [next of kin] and hometown and state, in addition to the serviceman's personal data. Just what everyone wanted to know, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted