Loss to and Victory Over the Persians

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 9, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My probable last two purchases for for 2020 arrived today. I bought them both from Ken Dorney's recent auction.
    I didn't buy them with the thought of them having a commonality but I just realized that they did!

First up is an antoninianus of Valerian I with a Victory reverse. Kind of funny since he was the first Roman emperor to be captured in battle at the Battle of Edessa by the Persian Emperor Shapur I. He eventually died in captivity.

Valerian I
    253-260 AD
    AR Antoninianus
    Obverse: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right
    Reverse: VICTORIA AVGG, Victory standing left resting on shield and holding palm
    IMG-9980-removebg-preview.png

The second coin is a decanummium of Maurice Tiberius who was victorious against the Sasanian Persians in the Byzantine-Persian War from 572-591.

Maurice Tiberius
    582-602 AD
    AE Decanummium
    Antioch
    Obverse: DN MAV CN P AV, crowned and mantled bust facing, wearing trefoil crown, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre
    Reverse: Large I, A to left, cross above, regnal year to right, mintmark THEUP
    IMG-9982-removebg-preview.png

Let's see some of your Valerian I, Maurice Tiberius, or anything that fits in with the theme of commonality through the ages. Thanks for looking!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

My only Valerian as of now, albeit not the prettiest. Regardless, I guess that's what $6.50 gets you when it comes to ancient coins.

Valerian I Antoninianus.jpg
    Valerian I
    AR Antoninianus
    253-255 A.D.
    Obverse: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped bust right.
    Reverse: FELICITAS AVGG, Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopiae.
    Diameter: 21.3mm
    Weight: 3.71 gr.
    RIC 87,Cohen 55; Sear 9936.

4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I have this Valerian antoninianus featuring Sol and the text Oriens Augg, meaning victory in the East, but we all know what happened to him when he went to the East the last time.
    WUyxvPf.jpg

5. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice new pickups. Here is a Valerian with a Fides Militum reverse (they spelled it “MLITVM” here...probably not a great sign).
    F110051F-209C-4F14-8A9D-0ABB1331251F.jpeg

6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Small world. I sold that coin to a person in Texas in 2016. Here was my photo of it.
    ri097.jpg

7. furryfrog02

Holy cow! How cool is that?? This guy has made it around. He now has a home in Maryland and I don't plan on him leaving any time soon.

8. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Galerius was hugely successful against the Persians leading a massive invasion of their empire and laying waste to Ctesiphon. The Persians would finally learn their lesson and fortify their capital greatly making it quite difficult for Constantius, Julian, Anastasius, Justinian, Maurice and Heraclius to take the city. At the very least Maurice led campaigns into Persia in offense. Heraclius only led campaigns deep into Persia after the Persians have already done their damage and captured key Roman cities in the East.

Galerius
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    308 A.D., Alexandria Mint, 1st Officina
    6.81g, 24.0mm, 12H

Obverse: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG,
    Laureate head right

Reverse: GENIO IMPE-RATORIS,
    Genius standing left, holding patera in right hand with liquid flowing from it, cornucopia in left

Exergue: P/(A over R)//ALE

Provenance: Ex. Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada Auction 1, Lot 265, Ex. Severus Alexander Collection, Ex. Dattari Collection

Reference: RIC VI Alexandria 72

Maurice Tiberius
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    595 - 596 A.D., Antioch Mint, 1st Officina
    11.40g, 31.0mm, 6H

Obverse: D N MAVΓI CN P AVT,
    Bust facing, crown with trefoil ornament, consular robes, mappa in right, eagle tipped scepter in left

Reverse: -,
    Large M between A/N/N/O and X/IIII (R.Y. 14), cross above, A below

Exergue: τHⲈUP'

Provenance: Ex. Arnoldoe Collection, Ex. JAZ Numismatics Auction 114 Lot 9

Reference: SBCV 533

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..purdy nice Valerian l..lots of silver AND provenance too!..and not a bad Maurice Tiberius either..good job FF02..:)...Valerian l was the 1st coin i purchased in 2020..here's my 'silverwash' antoninianus of'em along with Maurice T. silverwash Valerian antonianus 002.JPG silverwash Valerian antonianus 003.JPG kids        Maurice tiberius 003.JPG kids        Maurice tiberius 004.JPG

Alegandron, Shea19, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  10. furryfrog02

I only have one other Valerian I that came out of a bunch of uncleaned coins when FFIVN and I started. It is pretty ugly so I'm happy with this upgrade :)

Theodosius likes this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

A Valerian having--thankfully, from the family's perspective--nothing to do with Persia:
    temp.jpg
    Silver Double Denarius
    Antioch mint, A.D. 253
    Obv: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG
    Rev: PIETAS AVGG - Two emperors, emperor at left sacrificing at altar with patera, emperor at right, sword on belt, holding eagle-tipped scepter
    RIC 284
    24 x 22 mm, 3.5g.

12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

F.F. Congrats on your two recent scores :D! What a stroke of luck that David Sear spotted your coin :jawdrop:! That will enhance the pedigree of your coin ;). I only have one coin left of Valerian that's been posted a number of times, but will add it to your thread since it is an attractive coin.

IMG_8205.JPG IMG_8214.JPG

Alegandron, Shea19, DonnaML and 6 others like this.
  13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

14. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

I have a coin of Valerian and one of his nephew with somewhat ironic reverses, considering what happened:
    Valeriano I.jpg
    Valerian I (253-260), Antoninianus, Colonia mint
    Obverse: IMP VALERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, seen from the front;
    Reverse: SECVRIT PERPET, Securitas standing left, leaning on column and holding sceptre;
    RIC 256

Valeriano II.jpg
    Valerian II (255-258), Antoninianus, Samosata mint
    Obverse: P LIC COR VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, seen from behind;
    Reverse: VICTORIA PART, Victory standing right, presenting wreath to Valerian II, holding spear;
    RIC 54
    (This coin has some encrustations, but I don't think I would be capable of removing them without also damaging the coin)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Alegandron, Andres2, Shea19 and 4 others like this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Valerian, followed by the usurper Macrianus who negotiated, with his father Macrianus Senior, terms of peace with the Persians after Valerian was captured. They also were in charge of the billon supply to strike coins. Followed by a very green (uncleaned hoard) coin of Maurice Tiberius.

valerian1.jpg

valerian2.jpg

macrianus1.jpg

macrianus2.jpg

maurice1.jpg

maurice2.jpg

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coins, @furryfrog02 !

I do not have any Maurice Tiberius, but I do have one from each of the opposing sides:

VALERIAN I

[​IMG]
    RI Valerian I 253-260 CE AR Ant Felicitas stndg Caduceus and Cornucopia

SHAPUR I

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sasanian Shapur I 240-272 CE AE Tetradrachm 10.78g 27mm Ctesiphon mint phase 1a mural crown korymbos - fire altar type 2 SNS IIa1-1a

Bing, Johndakerftw, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  17. furryfrog02

Cool! I don't have a Shapur I. Or II or III or however many others there were :p

Alegandron likes this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Shapur I presided over an empire that for the most part was highly effective at defeating the Romans, starting with the time of Gordian III and on to their greatest victories over Valerian. Until Odenathus showed up (followed by Aurelian) on the scene he caused Rome a lot of problems.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Get one! I got mine because everyone talks about Valerian and his loss... I wanted to get one from the guy who WON that battle! I always see Parthian SILVER, so when I ran across a Parthian AE, I really wanted it. :)

Restitutor, furryfrog02 and ominus1 like this.
  20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i like that coin too! :)..

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted