LordM giveaway, September, 2017

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

I'll ad..I would give my favorite coin, just to have one more hunting trip with my Dad...to see him walk and bust my butt one more time...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

040 Road, Okanogen National Forest in North Central Washington State. I went hunting there for about 25 years, every fall. Love those tamaracks. 040 Road.jpg

CircCam, sonlarson, Steve66 and 6 others like this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

So sorry to see that there are so many people whose favorite memory is that of killing sentient beings.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I happen to agree, but let's not go there.

'Tis probably best not to spark too much controversy on what is intended to be an upbeat discussion about pretty places and happy nostalgia.

And I do not criticize hunting, because as long as I remain a carnivore, that would make me an enormous hypocrite. Besides, I respect outdoor sportsmen.

In fact, I would like to go out into the Great Outdoors myself and shoot some animals and birds.

With a camera.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. lordmarcovan

Here are some photos I shot yesterday. We had daughter Victoria's Sweet Sixteen party at Gascoigne Bluff on St. Simons.

20170923_164959.jpg 20170923_163902.jpg 20170923_185503.jpg
    20170923_164049.jpg

20170923_185428.jpg

When it comes to the Lowcountry, Gascoigne Bluff is certainly one of my fondest "happy places". I even made a video in 2013, if you have twelve minutes to burn.

If my twelve minutes of blather and handful of craptastic detector finds (understandably) didn't thrill you, perhaps you'll prefer my dig buddy Steve's video.

Theodosius, sonlarson, Nyatii and 4 others like this.
  7. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow nice birthday party! You have very nice family by the way, also what's your best metal detecting find.

Thanks,
    Jacob

8. lordmarcovan

It is hard to define "best". I showed a picture of my so-far most valuable find in that video above. My most sentimental find is here. There are more stories in my index thread, which is linked to in my signature line.

I have not yet posted here about my most famous find. I promised some folks on Collectors Universe I would submit a writeup on it to The Numismatist soon. It has already been mentioned in at least one published book and was apparently mentioned briefly on the History Channel, @willieboyd2 informs me, though I haven't seen that show. I'll give you a teaser:

tyjgmnzhzv43.jpg

Theodosius, sonlarson and dwhiz like this.
  9. Youngcoin

Wow amazing story! And wow I'm excited for when your write up on your most famous find comes around! I also just got done watching both videos that mercury dime that your buddy found is in great condition!

Thanks,
    Jacob

10. lordmarcovan

I actually linked up the wrong one of his videos. Just posted the correct one.

11. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi @lordmarcovan! I'm still trying to remember my most memorable autumn experience; but, while I'm trying to recollect that, I thought I better bring it to your attention that if you married in 1999, then this year will be your 18th year of wedded bliss, not 17th! Would not like to see our LordM clobbered on such a beautiful occasion! :sorry::shy:o_O;):)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

I actually linked up the wrong one of his videos. Just posted the correct one.

13. lordmarcovan

Haha! Arithmetic fail!

(Or maybe just a typo. Yeah... That's it! A typo. ;) )

Where did I post that little gem, in the OP? :p

14. Youngcoin

Wow a half dime! I have yet to see one of those! My oldest modern is 1881.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Detected, you mean, or collected?

16. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

My favorite place in the Autumn is the Penny Park in Silver City, NM. My wife and I used to take our kids there to play under the trees while we sat and read. I was able to catch up with my coin books that I hadn't read. The kids played on all the things in the park that were made or bought in kit form. There were donation jars in schools and all over town. . It was a quiet and lovely place that the kids and my wife and I enjoyed.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

My son moved to Colorado a few years ago and my wife and went up to see him a couple of years ago. We spent a few days at Estes Park and Bear Lake enjoying the beauty of the Rockies. We are planning to go back either Thanksgiving or Christmas depending on his vacation schedule. I could't possibly post all the photos I took but here are a few.

This one is a panorama I took that I now use as a background on my pc.
    2015-09-15 16.19.54.jpg
    The fall colors are often hidden by the evergreens.
    20150919_33.JPG
    A lake hidden in the Rockies.
    20150919_62.JPG
    One of the many Elk we came across
    20150919_107.JPG
    My son dared me to touch it
    20150919_110.JPG
    This is the biggest Elk we saw. Up front and close. It was about 10-15 feet from the car when I took this shot. HUGE!!!!
    20150919_137.JPG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  18. Lester Maddox

Lester Maddox Member

My favorite place was hiking down Canyon Canyon de Chelly National Monument in AZ. Just to marvel at the fact that people once lived in those cliffs.
    upload_2017-9-26_8-59-38.png

19. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh yeeeeeAhhhh that’s a little too close for comfort for me haha. I’d be keeping that car door open and tellin the driver to keep it in drive!! lol But gosh those antlers are richeous!!! Good thing it wasn’t a moose. Them boys got an attitude. You got kahones

@Lester Maddox where in Arizona are you from? I’m from Arizona aswell. T town Tempe!

20. chicago born and growing up in the midwest can't
    compare to fall in sw virginia the blue ridge parkway
    smith mountain lake and peaks of otter just minutes
    away

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. chicago born and growing up in the midwest can't
    compare to fall in sw virginia the blue ridge parkway
    smith mountain lake and peaks of otter just minutes
    away

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.