LordM Giveaway #68 (Ancient & Medieval history-related audiobooks on CD)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 1, 2021.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

(Update: giveaway done, now)

Salutations and Greetings, O Ancient Ones!

For my Ancient forum holiday giveaway this year, I have for you a dozen MP3 CD audiobooks relating to ancient and medieval history; many new and still sealed in shrink wrap. Most are multi-disc sets.

This is just a portion of a huge box of audiobooks my friend @Aethelred gave to me last year, only I discovered that the only CD player I own (in my ancient Honda Accord) is not MP3 enabled. So I can't play 'em. Best I just pass 'em on down the line, to someone who will enjoy 'em.

For now, here are some pictures of the lot, below. Maybe later, if I'm feeling inspired, I'll transcribe the titles and hyperlink them to the relevant Amazon pages for 'em, or whatever. In the meantime, sorry if the glare on the plastic in the photos makes some of the titles hard to read.

I have not inspected the unsealed boxes to make sure the right discs are in them, and I don't know if they work, obviously, but I assume everything's there, and should work OK, despite having been stored in the trunk of my car for months. As mentioned, several of these are brand new, never opened, and still in shrink wrap. I would imagine the rest are lightly used at most- maybe listened to just one time.

To enter this giveaway:

1. Just say you want 'em! (Here.)
    2. If you win, do please post here later to let me know you got 'em.

There will be a random drawing on or shortly after Christmas Day, December 25, 2021. In the event of my unforeseen absence, you may consider the contest open for entries until I return and announce the drawing.

Ancient History titles (Classics, nonfiction history, and two Robert Harris novels)
    75AE5581-90B8-41CE-BC78-1004A07C2E26.jpeg

Medieval History titles
    C5D1F0E0-CE57-4523-9FDF-3307634CA8A5.jpeg

There is of course the regular monthly coin giveaway as well, on the Contests forum, if you'd like to enter that as well.

Numismatic Regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("lordmarcovan")
    Golden Isles of Georgia, December 1, 2021

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Giveaway archive

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I have talked with @lordmarcovan and he is letting me piggyback on his giveaway. Added to the giveaway is a hardcover book The Influence of Greek Ideas and Usages Upon the Christian Church by Hatch. There will be a separate drawing on the same day, just include in your post that you are interested in the second drawing.
    https://imgur.com/a/jZcIzlZ

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..you're a great guy melord, and we think the world of ya!...Happy Holidays to you & yours this season sir! :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Good on you, @Matthew Kruse.

I’ll bet if someone had else chimed in and said, “Hey, I’ll toss in a complete set of RIC catalogues”, there’d have been a bit more interest here. ;)

Matthew Kruse and DonnaML like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

*crickets*

Hm. Nobody, huh?

OK, worst case scenario, I'll give 'em to the Friends of the Library store, if we get no takers.

Matthew Kruse and CoinJockey73 like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Fell back to Page 3.

The only person who expressed any interest did so via a private message rather than posting here. And he didn't want the Robert Harris novels. :rolleyes:

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Unless anyone objects, I think I’ll just cancel this drawing due to lack of interest (i.e., still no entries, four days in) and send the lot to the one person who did express an interest (via private message).

Obviously I misjudged the potential appeal of this lot. I guess maybe everyone who uses audiobooks has switched to Audible or similar services now, as I have. Come to think of it, CD audiobooks do kinda seem rather 2008-ish.

10. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

To be honest, I would be interested in taking part in the giveaway for both the audiobooks and the hardcover as well, if it isn't a problem - I think they are very generous gifts and I find the topics quite interesting, personally, so I'd definitely enjoy them.

Matthew Kruse and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

OK, great. You’re actually the first to speak up (on this thread, anyway).

Now, since it seems we’re to have a drawing after all, I will let this post be the entry post for the person who sent a private message.

If nobody else wants in, I can decide the contest with a coin toss instead of a random number generator! :p

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I want them!

See, I read your other contests and know how to enter. I am always looking for more ancient related fiction and non fiction.

John

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

I'm back from hiatus, so let's do the random (and sorry, much-belated) drawing.

With so hilariously few entries, this should be easy.

The random number generator has three to pick from:

1. @dougsmit (who sent me a PM rather than posting an entry here, and didn't want the Robert Harris novels)
    2. @Claudius_Gothicus
    3. @Theodosius

@dougsmit won the drawing. (I'll need your address, Doug.)

Since @Claudius_Gothicus was the only one who specifically mentioned an interest in the hardcover book (The Influence of Greek Ideas and Usages Upon the Christian Church, by Hatch) that @Matthew Kruse piggybacked on, I'll award that to @Claudius_Gothicus. (Y'all get in touch via PM.)

Since @dougsmit said he didn't want the two Robert Harris novels, and @Theodosius did mention an interest in ancient-themed fiction, I'll send those two to him. (I'll need your address, John.)

Please be patient with me on my shipping time (which shouldn't be as belated as this drawing was, anyway).

~RWS/"LM"

14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Excellent, I was most interested in some new fiction anyway. Thanks for the contest, m'lord!

John

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted