[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #66 (who wants to become a multi-billionaire… again?)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

11/27/21: This contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #41.

As some of you will recall, in Giveaway #56, I made the winner an instant multibillionaire, with a Zimbabwe $50,000,000,000-dollar note.

Well, it's time to bestow some more fabulous wealth upon someone else! :greedy:

You've really got @Nyatii to thank for this giveaway. He sent me these.

This time there is $5,000,000,005 (five billion and five) Zimbabwe dollars to be had.

These are real banknotes, though now demonetized.

First, there are five $1 notes from 2007, Uncirculated, with the serial numbers in sequential order. These were printed before the hyperinflation.
    AFEC13DD-79F7-4E53-A41E-30813ABD54BB.jpeg

Then there is one $5,000,000,000 (five-billion-dollar) note from 2008, also Uncirculated, or nearly so. It was printed after the hyperinflation took off. Things went really bad in their economy in a very short time, huh? Can't have been fun, if you were living and working in Zimbabwe at the time. But these hyperinflationary notes can be fun for us collectors now, simply as curiosities. You've gotta love all those crazy zeros!
    535A83DC-6CF5-453F-94D4-09E326EE0D7E.jpeg

For more information (Wikipedia):

Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe
    Banknotes of Zimbabwe
    $1 obverse design
    $1 reverse design
    $5,000,000,000 obverse design
    $5,000,000,000 reverse design

If these were the current Zimbabwe dollars instead of the old demonetized ones, they would be worth around 13.8 million US dollars at the present exchange rate, I think.

To enter this contest:

1. Type the words "entry post" at the top of your entry. Multiple replies to this thread are OK, but only one entry post per contestant.

2. Tell us what you'd spend five billion Zimbabwe dollars (or 13.8 million US dollars) on, if these were still spendable. OR, tell us what you're thankful for, since Thanksgiving is coming.

The winner will be randomly drawn sometime after Thanksgiving Day (US), which is Thursday, November 25, 2021. In the event of my unforeseen absence, the contest is open for entries until such time as I return and announce the drawing.

Good luck! May good fortune find you all, whether or not you become an instant multibillionaire here! :)

~RWS/“LM”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Giveaway archive

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Oops, sorry, thread was locked while I was editing. It should be open now.

CoinJockey73 and expat like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

44985106_1885292991591290_9208686130625511424_o copy 2.jpg

Entry post. Max and I would spend money on A pretty house. Buy many many amazing coins. Buy a lot of gold and silver bullion. I would also buy amazing artwork to put in my luxury home. Maybe travel to all thee biggest coin shows all over the United States. I am grateful to be above ground. I am grateful for this amazing coin website.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Nyatii, Cheech9712, Kasia and 5 others like this.
  5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    My "wealth" has fictionally increased from 0 to 20 million so far, so that note seems to be a giant leap forward, lol.
    We don't have thanksgiving here but I have ordered a turkey so we can eat with you on your special day in the USA. Thanks to all of you in the US and to all CT members from across the globe who make this a special place to be part of.
    20211118_091007 (2).jpg 20211118_091028 (2).jpg

6. lordmarcovan

I like that zero-Euro note! Fun stuff.

The old German hyperinflationary money is always cool.

Some of these had crazy-high denominations, but all I got is a measly 10,000-mark piece...

Germany (Westphalia): gilt bronze hyperinflationary 10,000-mark notgeld token, 1923
    [​IMG]

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

But a lovely coin regardless.
    The Euro note is special for me as I was born in the town of Ely, Cambridgeshire, and the serial number has my birthtown in it, lol.

Nyatii, john65999 and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

It's really quite impressive; not just for the high denomination, but also for its size, design, and flashy gilt surfaces.

Here's a (somewhat-grainy) animated GIF I made of it, in the slab.

[​IMG]

9. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

entry post

I would spend it to redo my house to one more befitting lakeside living.

10. lordmarcovan

This indicates you already have a lakeside house of some flavor, then? I'd love to live next to a lake. The little frog pond in our neighbors' goat pasture doesn't really count.

11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Entry Post -- I would spend the Money on Bills , bills and more Bills . The rest would go to living in a gated community or a better choice would be a gated Individual Home away from all the neighborhood Chaos . :happy:

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Entry post

If ever I would be blessed with a wind fall as such...I use it wisely....like help feed the hurgry children on this planet. Then perhasp Afgan's would not need to sell their 8 year old daughters so the rest of the family can eat.
    Perhasp giving African children the food they need so they too not need to worrie with we eat today,or tomorrow!
    Not to mention the poor, and homeless here in the greatest country on the planet...the US of A!
    "I challenge EACH of YOU to make a difference" this holiday that we give thanks.... to make a difference for someone less fortunate....no need to post ,no need to boast....just give something back to those less fortunate.
    And continue throughout December...making a difference for someone else comes with many blessings! The biggest is knowing within youself that you made a difference a gift that no one can take from you.... it's priceless.... and its costs can be as little as giving up your morning starbucks....the rewards are life lasting. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Nyatii, Stevearino, john65999 and 3 others like this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post,my first car perhaps a nice original Duesenberg.

Nyatii, john65999 and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Entry Post: I'm thankful for my family, my health such as it is and my friends. If I had that kind of cash I would invest it in such a way that I always had money for my family, my friends and for others in need. And maybe a little for that gold type set that I've been wanting to put together.

15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

16. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention how thankful I am to have found this website. And thanks to LordM for these contests and @Nyatii for these prizes.

17. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Entry Post - I have a large pile of world banknotes that need to be organized, researched, cataloged and protected. However, I do not own a note with face value in the billions. If I came in to several million dollars, Uncle Sam would be happy and I could hire an assistant to organize my collections, photos, silverware, etc.

CoinJockey73, Nyatii and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

If I came upon a sudden windfall of $13.8 million USD I would do one of these two things.

A. Spend it on acquiring trophy notes such as the ones below.
    B. Spend it on hard assets such as gold and silver to hedge against inflation (like that's going to get any better any time soon).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TrompeLeMonde

TrompeLeMonde Member

Entry post.
    I'm grateful that there's such an active and generous community here on CoinTalk. A really wonderful resource.

20. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

Entry Post:
    I would buy everyone on CT a turkey and a blueberry pie for Thanksgiving.

Nyatii, Stevearino, john65999 and 2 others like this.
  21. JP@

JP@ Well-Known Member

Entry Post

… buy an island… and a boat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.