[CLOSED] LordM CoinTalk giveaway #39 - elongated coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, May 20, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Update: contest is now CLOSED. Winners announced in Post #36 and subsequent.

I'm giving away five more sets of my elongated coins. I will draw five winners sometime after June 1st, 2020.

All you've got to do is post the words "entry post", and you're entered.

Only one"entry post" per member, please, though you may reply multiple times for discussion purposes.

Each set consists of (3) of my 2019 custom elongated coins:

(1) on 1920s-1940s silver Mercury dime (one of 100 pieces produced). These were all rolled with the obverse of the host coin showing on the back. Usually the details are fairly visible, and in most (though maybe not all) cases, the host coin date is visible. Usually this will mean the 1940s, though there were some 1920s and 1930s coins in the source lot as well- even a few 'teens. Silver dimes, let alone Mercury dimes, are very seldom seen as host coins for elongates, so hopefully these will prove popular.

(1) on 1950s Wheat cent, unholed (one of 200 pieces produced). Most though not all coins have the wheat ears of the host coin visible on the back, but a few have the host coin obverse showing, and therefore a readable date in some cases.

(1) on 1950s Wheat cent, holed (one of 200 pieces produced). As above, but holed for keychain or jewelry use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coins for these 3-piece sets will be randomly selected and pre-sealed in the envelopes shown, so the host coin dates will be random.

The dies for these elongated coins were made for me and rolled out by Cindy Calhoun, the president of TEC (The Elongated Collectors), at elongatedpenny.net.

The design is based on the Scottish clan badge for the Clan Robertson (my maternal family line, from which my first name is derived).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(There is also the regular giveaway on the Contests forum- see the link in my signature line. This additional giveaway is to fulfill an obligation.)

Nathan401, dwhiz and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks, Rob!

Entry Post

_MG_2130.JPG
    _MG_2131.JPG

I know! I know! It wasn't necessary to post anything coin-related, but I thought this would be appropriate. ~ Chris

Nathan401 and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Here we go...... Entry Post ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a recent purchase on eBay. Waiting on it now.

Thanks for your generosity, Rob.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Entry Post. Thanks for the opportunity to acquire these special coins.
    20180831_221033.jpg 20180831_221022.jpg

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

entry post.

Thanks for the chance

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that when an elongated coin is made on a tarnished coin that the design detail can remain on the coin due to the toning of the metal.
    20191021_165203.jpg 20191021_165056.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not in on this generous giveaway by our friend @lordmarcovan because I already won one of these beautiful sets.

I feel a connection to Rob owning one of his family Crest elongated's.

Good luck to all! Kudos to you once again Rob.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Entry Post

Always appreciate a chance to add to my collection of elongated coins....

Thanks!!!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. chlorinated

chlorinated Well-Known Member

11. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    I don't have any elongated coins and i think they would be a great addition. Thanks for the chance

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting specimen. Rolled smooth with no imprint.
    ~ 27mm x 20mm
    20200525_194855.jpg 20200525_194908.jpg

lordmarcovan and Rassi like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Train track penny! That one was more likely elongated by a choo-choo.

Pity we can't see what the locomotive responsible looked like. From the date on the cent, it was probably one of those Old West-lookin' trains that ran that over it.

Here's an 1889 locomotive.

1889.jpg

alurid, Hookman and Rassi like this.
  14. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I remember when I was little the Freedom Train came thru our town to celebrate the Bicentennial and people would put pennies on the tracks. Don't have any of those anymore though....

15. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I have several train track pennies. None of them are perfectly flat and oval like this coin.
    I posted this coin in the Lets see your Exonumia thread and @Circus posted a photo of this jewelry press he has. I think it is awesome.
    roller press..jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Circus, Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

First coin ever found metal detecting, less than 40 ft from RR tracks.
    MET DET (1).jpg
    Pre 1807 Drapped bust cent. The word ONE and others are discernible. This coin was hit a least three times.
    DB.jpg

Rassi, Hookman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Wow, that's crazy!

Quite an interesting first find. My first dug coin was a 1944 Mexican 5-centavo piece. I later found out that Mexican workers had lived in our house during WW2.

My first dug large cent was also a 1796-1807 Draped Bust, but too corroded to date. Still a fun find.

Hookman, Randy Abercrombie and alurid like this.
  18. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Entry post

Who wouldn’t want a cool set of these. I haven’t been too active here recently because I’ve been really busy with work. Rob, let me know what’s going on with the giveaways and I’ll find something interesting for the next opening.

Hookman, alurid and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

If you don't win a set in the drawings, remind me. You get a free set no matter what. ;)

Hookman and H8_modern like this.
  20. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

That’s really nice of you but now the other guys will be mad at me if I win.

Hookman likes this.
  21. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Thanks for the chance, Rob! Entry post

lordmarcovan and Hookman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted