Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box of 20" Collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Chas Carlson

Chas Carlson Active Member

Beautiful coins! I love the ancients--I don't collect any, but I just might now ;)

Jwt708 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You should go for it! Take the plunge.

I've loved ancient coins since childhood, but never got around to seriously collecting them until 2007, when I finally said, "What am I waiting for?" and jumped in with both feet.

I think all too many people are intimidated by all the scholarly stuff that goes along with ancient coins, but there really is no reason to be. You just take little bites and gradually add to your knowledge as you go along. There is nobody alive who knows everything there is to know about ancient coins, and nobody, not even the British Museum, has a "complete" set of even just the Roman emperors, for example.

Regardless how knowledgeable people become in the field, there is always more to be learned about them, and there is room for as much (or as little) scholarship as you want to pursue. These days I mostly pursue them on an aesthetic basis more than anything. Sure, I read up on the history of the coins I have, but I couldn't tell you what RIC number or variety or whatever. I use a few quick-n'-easy references like Wildwinds.com and rely on the seller's attributions, mostly.

For me, it's eye appeal first and history a close second, but all the other minutiae don't matter so much as far as I'm concerned.

Wayne Sayles' Collecting Ancient Coins series of books are very instructional and readable without being too overwhelming. A good place to start for somebody who's thinking about getting into ancients.

Jwt708 and Chas Carlson like this.
  4. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

Thanks for the pics, and info.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  5. Chas Carlson

Chas Carlson Active Member

Yeah thank you so much for the information lordmarcovan! I'll definitely be looking into expanding my collection beyond the United States now!

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

You have a whole Ancient Coin (or World Coin) forum to advise you when you do.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Lord Marcovan is in da house! This forum has just gained another passionate collector and a great guy to boot.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Original, unique, and inspiring!

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm a U.S. coin convert and it's just great. A whole new experience. Don't be afraid to check out the Ancients section!

10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Agreed. Good guy. :D

Necro-Threads rising !!! Happy Halloween. :vamp:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Yikes! This IS an oldie!

One of my earlier posts here, while transitioning over from the Collectors Universe forums.

"Box of 20"! Ha! That limit flew out the window a few years ago. More like a "Box of 50 (-ish)" these days.

My last update from September 7, 2019 is already outdated as of this post.

dwhiz, RonSanderson and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice coins.
    Maybe this one could be renamed to...
    "Electic Box of 20...minutes to download !!! Lots of full sized pics :D

Draft saved Draft deleted