Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" collection as of February 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Feb 9, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

[​IMG]

Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" collection

In 2013, I did a major purge of all my coin collections and decided to simplify to just one small box of "nicer" coins, focusing more on quality than quantity. However, pursuing quality remains an ongoing challenge on my budget. I have tried to develop a discerning "eye" for nice coins that are still obtainable on a working-class salary.

For the first four years, until mid-2017, I stuck to the "box of twenty" concept, meaning this collection was limited to just twenty pieces, and for each new addition that came in, another coin in the box would have to go out. This took some discipline and detachment, and it became increasingly difficult after the coins got nicer and I became more attached to them. I let some really sweet pieces go during this period, but of course that enabled me to add other nice pieces along the way.

Now I have abandoned the 20-coin limit, so really there are no parameters at all on this set. The only unifying themes here are that these are pieces I like, obviously, and they're all certified by PCGS or NGC, or about to be. Other than that, I'm pretty much free to collect whatever catches my fancy, be it World, Ancient, or US coins, or exonumia like tokens and medals.

Aesthetic "eye appeal" is my first criterion and historical, artistic, or cultural appeal a very close second. In keeping with the "eclectic" attribute, I'm also trying to add as wide a variety as possible of time periods, cultures, and geographic regions here.

"Eclectic Box" gallery on CollectiveCoin
    (View all the coins on one page- less scrolling down)

Last update: December 20, 2017
    Archives of earlier updates (in my index thread)

Number of coins as of last update: 27
    Number of coins as of this update: 34

Individual coin photos are not shown to scale.

As always, thanks for looking.

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick (aka "LordM")
    St. Simons Island, Georgia, February 9, 2018

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

4. lordmarcovan

5. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

Switzerland (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden of 36 schillings), 1739
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU58; population 1- the only example certified by PCGS as of 2/9/2018)

Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759-JB, Madrid mint
    [​IMG]

(PCGS XF40- population 1 - the only example certified by PCGS as of 2/29/2018- also the key date)

Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver 8 reales ("Pillar Dollar"), 1761-Mo-MM, Mexico City mint
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU50; population 4 with 10 higher as of 2/9/2018)

India (Mysore): gold fanam of Tipu Sultan, AH 1200 (1786), Patan mint
    [​IMG]

(Presently uncertified; ex-Marcantica)

Belgium (Austrian Netherlands): copper 2 liards (2 Oorden); Insurrection coinage, 1790
    [​IMG]

(NGC MS63 BN; population 3 with 4 higher as of 2/9/2018)

Great Britain: gilt copper proof halfpenny of George III, 1806, Soho mint
    [​IMG]

(PCGS PR65 DCAM, ex-NGC PR64 CAM; PCGS population 1 with 1 higher as of 2/9/2018)

Iran (Persia): gold toman of Fath Ali Shah, AH 1233 (1817), Yazd mint
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS62; population 3 with none higher as of 2/9/2018)

Great Britain: silver shilling of George IV, ca. 1826-1829, mint error (struck 20% off-center)
    [​IMG]

(PCGS XF40; no population data since errors are unique, but a rare error for the type)

United States: gold half-eagle (5 dollars); Liberty Head type, 1842-D small date, Dahlonega mint
    [​IMG]

(PCGS VF30, CAC verified; population 16 with 157 higher as of 2/9/2018)

Liberia: proof copper cent; first coin issued for Liberian independence, 1847
    [​IMG]

(PCGS PR65 BN, ex-NGC PF64 BN; PCGS population 1- finest graded at either service as of 2/9/2018)

France: copper specimen striking of a 10-centime pattern (essai); Marianne and fasces, 1848
    [​IMG]

(PCGS SP65 RB; population 1- the only example certified by PCGS as of 2/9/2018)

Japan (Meiji Era): silver and gold Nibu-Kin (2 bu), ca. 1868-1869
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU55; population 89 with 28 higher as of 2/9/2018)

France: silver jeton (insurance token) engraved by Ernest-Paulin Tasset, 1869
    [​IMG]

(Presently uncertified; ex-Numiscorner)

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner collection
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS64; population 11 with 6 higher as of 2/9/2018)

United States: copper "Hard Times" token; C.D. Peacock Jeweler, Chicago, "1837" (1902)
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS63 BN; population 1 - the only example certified by PCGS as of 2/9/2018)

United States: cupronickel 5 cents, Buffalo type, 1913, Type 1 ("raised mound" reverse)
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS65; population 3,482 with 2,868 higher as of 2/9/2018)

Great Britain (Island of Lundy): bronze 1-puffin coin (token) issued by Martin Coles Harman, 1929
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS MS65 RD; population 5 with none higher as of 2/9/2018)

United States: cupronickel dime, Roosevelt type, 2001-P, mint error (missing obverse clad layer)
    [​IMG]

(Presently uncertified; ex-ToughCOINS)

TheRed, dlhill132, Jimski and 7 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

February 9, 2018: Update Summary

We have seven arrivals and no departures this time!

Number of coins as of last update: 27
    Number of coins as of this update: 34

Here's what's came in since last time:

Greece (Thessaly, Pharkadon): silver hemidrachm; Thessalos restraining bull, ca. 440-400 BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently uncertified; ex-Sphinx Numismatics)

Greece (Mysia, Lampsakos): silver diobol; janiform heads and Athena, ca. 4th-3rd century BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently uncertified; ex-Ken Dorney)

England: silver penny of King John, ca. 1213-1215, from the Gisors hoard found in Normandy
    (*This one has an interesting history- PDF journal article in link)
    [​IMG]
    (Presently uncertified; ex-Classical Numismatic Group)

India (Mysore): gold fanam of Tipu Sultan, AH 1200 (1786), Patan mint
    [​IMG]
    (Presently uncertified; ex-Marcantica)

France: silver jeton (insurance token) engraved by Ernest-Paulin Tasset, 1869
    [​IMG]
    (Presently uncertified; ex-Numiscorner)

United States: cupronickel 5 cents, Buffalo type, 1913, Type 1 ("raised mound" reverse)
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS65; population 3,482 with 2,868 higher as of 2/9/2018)

United States: cupronickel dime, Roosevelt type, 2001-P, mint error (missing obverse clad layer)
    [​IMG]
    (Presently uncertified; ex-ToughCOINS)

I still have a lot of work to do on the individual coin listings on CollectiveCoin, though they are at least linked up here now.

My eventual goal, hopefully before Spring, is to have full writeups on everything. I've been lax in that duty over the last year and a half or so, so I've still got a lot of "catchup ball" to play. Then, as usual, of course, there's the stuff to send off for certification, and the updates, and so on.

Even a collection this small is a lot of work, when you want to present it like this! But it's a labor of love, and worth it in the long run, I think.

~RWS/"LM"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Yes, sticking to the "Box of 20" restriction for four years was very challenging.

That's all finished with now, and as of this post this is a "Box of 34"... and growing!

Thanks.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. whitebold

whitebold New Member

Hi, Sir

Is this your collection?
    It's was really good.
    i salute with you decide and your way too

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Thank you!

Yes, my (primary) collection. Small, but growing now.

Welcome to CoinTalk! I'm honored that you chose to make your first post here. :)

11. whitebold

whitebold New Member

Thank you for like my coments.:)
    i like yours post too

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

And here's "the one that got away". I essentially ran out of "mad money" to splurge on coins, and had to "cool my jets" a while, so to speak.

In other words, I was faced with the decision of buying the pair of US coins above (the Buffalo nickel and error Roosevelt dime), OR this 1838 Reeded Edge Bust half (PCGS XF40).

The 1913 Buffalo called out to me the strongest, so I chose to go with that and the error dime.

I might - or might not - go back and pick up this half dollar later, if circumstances and budget allow. Really, I want a Choice AU example of this type - perhaps with a hint of color - but this XF40 is in my opinion solid, original-looking, and I think reasonably priced.

(It's out there on eBay if any of you decide to go for it- I won't be upset. Have at it if you like- but if you don't, I just might, later!)

If I do go for it, @Deacon Ray has been so kind as to already create the Photoshopped "shadowbox" template ahead of time. As ever, I am grateful for his digital wizardry and assistance.

halfdollar1838b.jpg

dlhill132 likes this.
  13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

If that is what you are able to acquire on a "working class salary" I have to wonder what work you must be doing on the side. ;):D

TheRed, lordmarcovan and spirityoda like this.
  14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Nice collection! One of your tokens is on my wish list! Also, I'm still new to Ancients, but that Medusa (?) one looks pretty sweet.

Maybe you should have one 20-slab box from PCGS, and one 20-slab box from NGC. They're blue and red in color, respectively, so maybe that'll be eclectic and be enough for your 34 coins.

Given your collecting philosophy, maybe a high relief coin is in order. And, maybe even a modern strike?? Not sure how you feel about that given your Ancients focus. Maybe combine it all and get a high relief, curved, and modern coin...

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

All great coins and I’m impressed by the discipline to stay focused for so long.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Just a hotel clerk's salary - barely above the minimum wage in some states. No side job, at least for the last six or seven years. And to keep things harmonious on the home front, I seldom draw any coin money from my paycheck anyway. (Though there have been times when I had to sacrifice a coin to deal with some household or automotive emergency.)

My collection has had to feed itself. I sell and swap coins in order to buy other coins. When I started this project after my "Great Purge" in 2013, I sold off 90-95% of all my numismatic material, and that represented over 20 years' worth of collecting, most of which was acquired by swapping, selling, cherrypicking, and "flipping". That was the seed from which this all grew, in only four years' time.

One can build a nice (if small) collection this way, even if the going is slow and the growth very gradual.

It also helps to collect World coins, I think. One gets so much more "bang for the buck" there. But you already knew that. :)

17. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Any reason you have decided recently to start adding errors to the collection?

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

It was a mistake. :)

Stork, MisterWD and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

That's Helios, the sun god, though he does look rather effeminate and Medusa-like here!

This is one of my top five coins. Probably top three. It is but a tiny crumb that fell from @AncientJoe's mighty Colosseo Collection. (His castoff, my treasure!)

[​IMG]

As it happens, I am currently using one NGC and one PCGS box like you said, since I outgrew my 25-count aluminum box. Mine are oldies, though, so not red and blue. :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

(I couldn't resist hamming it up a bit in this selfie inspired by @paddyman98's recent post with two slab boxes.) :p
    [​IMG]

Several of the ancient coins (including the Macedonian "Mercenaries" drachm you admired) have very high reliefs. Now that I'm no longer restricted by a 20-coin limit, I do intend to add some moderns. But the curved coins I've seen so far (from France and the USA, anyway) don't really do much for me.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

TheRed and iPen like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

I've had the off-center British shilling for over a year now. Click the link on that and read the description on the CollectiveCoin page.

My answer would be "why not?" I just have two. The shilling is special. The recently purchased dime was cool, not frightfully expensive, and it's also from my daughter's birthyear. And I needed a 21st century coin in the collection. Eventually I want at least one coin from each of the 26 or so centuries that coins have been made.

Sez you. My opinion may differ slightly. ;)

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  21. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I think my top three favorites are the 1842-D $5, the peacock token, and the square 1/8 thaler. Not that the other ones aren’t also nice!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted