Loose fibers. What to do?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by funkee, Dec 23, 2013.

1. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

20131223_001352.jpg

This is the 2nd large size note I've owned with loose fibers. The first was a 1917 $1 LT with a fiber that protruded from the edge. This one is a little different. It's protruding from the surface. I thought about giving it a little bris, and snip the tip off. o_O

Take a look at the fiber under the 5 of the serial number. The design is missing underneath. I don't want to leave this educational with a bald spot.

What to do? Leave it be and find a way to cope?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Does a problem like that detract from the value funkee? It obviously bothers you but I would think twice about fixing it. It may not be worth taking the chance on such a nice note.

Bruce

NOS likes this.
  4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I would leave it alone, personally. I'm at least as anal as you are, but I wouldn't run the risk of messing up an Educational. If it were something more mundane I might pull the fiber (I have before).

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Hopefully one of the better currency graders might help if you gave them a call. Not sure if they would offer free advise without seeing the note. You might do better taking it to one of the major shows to discuss it with them.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Leave it as is!

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

"Can we do anything about loose fibers?"

"A frayed knot..." :p

8. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Senior Member

Funkee ,

See it quite often , leave it alone unless it really , really bothers you . IF anything at all take a pair of NEW nailclippers and snip it - IF it HAS to come off !! ;)

harris498 likes this.
  9. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Thats a good idea about the nailclipper thing, but make sure to go at it from the side of the clipper, and be very, very careful.

10. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Thanks for the tips. I think I will let it be for the moment. But it's good to know something can be done.

What can go wrong if you pull the fiber? Anything other than a bald spot?

11. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

A thin spot, that'd be my worry.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

At my age, you pull on nothing that could enhance a bald or thin spot!

13. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Senior Member

:mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted