Loose Buffalo Nickels - sanity check on grades

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ewomack, May 23, 2022.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I removed this 1913 Type I from a VERY old ANACS flip, the kind where the coin was stapled into a 2 X 2 inside a flexible plastic pouch. The card that accompanied the coin, literally paper-clipped to it, reads "©1986 American Numismatic Association." It had 4 grades assigned to it, separately for the obverse and reverse and then a final grade. Here is how the coin graded:

Luster: Obverse: Original 63; Reverse: Original 63
    Surface: Obverse: Average 63; Reverse: Average 63
    Eye Appeal: Obverse: Average 63; Reverse: Average 63
    Strike: Obverse: Sharply Struck 64; Reverse: Sharply Struck 64
    Consensus Grade Opinion: MS 63/63

If graded today, would this still fall into that range? MS 63? It seems a little flat to me, so I'm thinking that it might actually grade lower.
    1913BuffaloT1_Obv.png 1913BuffaloT1_Rev.png

I also have this 1938-D (so I seem to have the first and last years of the series here) - any opinions on a grade for this one? I don't know what the 2 splotches are on the top and to the right of the obverse, but they don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The coin has a more shiny and slightly bronze-like tone in hand that did not come out in the photo.
    1938DBuffalo_Obv.png
    1938DBuffalo_Rev.png

For comparison, I also have a 1916 NGC MS 64 - this seems a lot more lustrous than the 1913 above, far more than just 1 MS level.
    1916BuffaloObv.png
    1916BuffaloRev.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Your 13 has a satiny luster. If not cleaned or impaired which I can’t tell through my screen I’d call it a 64 today. The 38 a 65 or possibly a little better

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Please, one coin per thread or some of our minds will go crazy:wacky:. You should know better. Rules are rules for a reason. ;)
    Overall, Nice coins!!:)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    ewomack likes this.
  5. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Wow, those are very nice.

ewomack likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

ewomack likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The grading information on the 1913 is worth more than the coin. Some that collect the TPG slabs would probably pay a premium for it.
    The 1938 looks like I may have been conserved ("cleaned') to remove the two carbon spots that now have an off color.

Draft saved Draft deleted