Loose Buffalo Nickels - sanity check on grades

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ewomack, May 23, 2022.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I removed this 1913 Type I from a VERY old ANACS flip, the kind where the coin was stapled into a 2 X 2 inside a flexible plastic pouch. The card that accompanied the coin, literally paper-clipped to it, reads "©1986 American Numismatic Association." It had 4 grades assigned to it, separately for the obverse and reverse and then a final grade. Here is how the coin graded:

Luster: Obverse: Original 63; Reverse: Original 63
    Surface: Obverse: Average 63; Reverse: Average 63
    Eye Appeal: Obverse: Average 63; Reverse: Average 63
    Strike: Obverse: Sharply Struck 64; Reverse: Sharply Struck 64
    Consensus Grade Opinion: MS 63/63

If graded today, would this still fall into that range? MS 63? It seems a little flat to me, so I'm thinking that it might actually grade lower.
    1913BuffaloT1_Obv.png 1913BuffaloT1_Rev.png

I also have this 1938-D (so I seem to have the first and last years of the series here) - any opinions on a grade for this one? I don't know what the 2 splotches are on the top and to the right of the obverse, but they don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The coin has a more shiny and slightly bronze-like tone in hand that did not come out in the photo.
    1938DBuffalo_Obv.png
    1938DBuffalo_Rev.png

For comparison, I also have a 1916 NGC MS 64 - this seems a lot more lustrous than the 1913 above, far more than just 1 MS level.
    1916BuffaloObv.png
    1916BuffaloRev.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Your 13 has a satiny luster. If not cleaned or impaired which I can’t tell through my screen I’d call it a 64 today. The 38 a 65 or possibly a little better

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Please, one coin per thread or some of our minds will go crazy:wacky:. You should know better. Rules are rules for a reason. ;)
    Overall, Nice coins!!:)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    ewomack likes this.
  5. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Wow, those are very nice.

ewomack likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

ewomack likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

The grading information on the 1913 is worth more than the coin. Some that collect the TPG slabs would probably pay a premium for it.
    The 1938 looks like I may have been conserved ("cleaned') to remove the two carbon spots that now have an off color.

Draft saved Draft deleted