Loomis culling silver????

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Infamousfrog, Feb 25, 2014.

1. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

A nice banker called me Saturday to say a customer dropped off some halves and asked if I wanted to buy them from her teller. I was out of town for the holiday weekend and said I would check with her Tuesday as she mentioned another of her customers swings by on the weekends to buy their halves. Well, he must have been out of town as well, because I just bought them today at lunch. $20.50 in coins yielded a 1959-D Benjamin and some pretty nice clads that may be upgrades to my album. It sure is nice when they call you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't think Loomis takes out the silver as they are dealing with millions and millions of coins.
    The lack of silver halves is because all of the coin roll hunters have been going through a finite supply of halves for many years, taking out the silver, and dumping the clads back into the system. So every time you go you are getting more and more clads per box and less and less silvers.
    It costs the banks money to "buy" boxed coins which they sell to customers at face value and take a loss. This is going to end.
    If I realized this was a 3 year old OP I would have played Ms. Pacman instead of posting.

4. kasssa

kasssa New Member

I'm still finding silver halves in Loomis rolls. Not as many as a few years ago, but still there...

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  5. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I second that!!!!!

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If Loomis is switching out silver for clad, doesn't stand to reason they are guilty of theft? After all, what is the melt value of a clad coin?

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Anything they receive and replace at face value is not theft. I doubt they have the time to do that.

8. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

In my opinion Nickels are the best for silver I find 2 to 1 every box.I like to think its cause you manually have to look at all of them since the edges are not a different color. Also its cool to find buffalo nickels and key dates still in circulation just found a 50D and a 1913D(dateless) type 2 had to Nic a Date it.

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  9. some-willie.willieWANT

some-willie.willieWANT Active Member

They make special boxes for you! I've only ever got one rosie and a 1959 Washington from Loomis boxes, never been able to get a box from anyone else though..

Draft saved Draft deleted