Loomis culling silver????

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Infamousfrog, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Infamousfrog

Infamousfrog New Member

I was wondering if Loomis culls any silver coins? I just finished going through my fourth box of halves and nothing. I know it's just speculations but comes on our of 4000 halves and nothing....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

They would be smart to. I know Coinstar does.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've heard of people doing 3x the amount of boxes you have done and getting skunked. Just the name of the game nowadays I think.

moneycostingmemoney and MKent like this.
  5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

You will find your best luck in customer-wrapped rolls or unrolled bags of $1,000 FV. Try to find a bank that will order them for you.

6. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

more and more people are mining for silver that its getting harder to find!

7. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

Loomis has been sorting out silver for at least the past few years.

8. Infamousfrog

Infamousfrog New Member

That sucks..... Time to find a bank who uses a different non silver culling organization

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Don't you all wish you could get in a time machine and go back to the 60's, 70's or even 80's? Could silver coinage been the single greatest freebie in the history of mankind? If only I knew then what I know now...

Bambam8778, vintagemintage and NOS like this.
  10. TC3

TC3 Member

Only thing I find in Loomis rolls are atb quarters.

11. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

i think so. i have ordered 3 boxes of loomis halves. all the boxes were sealed, and in all of them the ends of the rolls had been open and re-folded. only thing i got out of those was 4 NIFC. now i have stopped ordering boxes, and just buy teller tray coins and CWRs.

12. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I work in a bank and had heard that the Loomis workers are allowed to pull silver and replace at face value. I decided to ask my delivery driver one day about this. He said when they take in a bag from somewhere else, they just dump it straight into a counting machine to verify the amount and the machine automatically re rolls it. They never see the coins. I asked him if there are any old half dollar boxes that have been sitting around for years (they get to load their own trucks) and he said the inventory gets cycled pretty good. Nothing old sitting around...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bman33, sjlund and MKent like this.
  13. Infamousfrog

Infamousfrog New Member

Even though I started this thread not sure what's going on. Today I went through another 2 boxes of halves and nothing once again...... However, my brother got a box of dimes for him bank (Loomis wrapped) and he got 1 1963 dime. I've been thinking the halves might be the rarest to come by now.

14. sportpak

sportpak Member

The guys that make roll hunting silver look good are doing 10k+ a month and have an uncanny ability to get customer rolled. The real-life logistics and total PITA of maintaining that is incredible and not worth the effort by most peoples standards. I'd say the glory days are over.

eddiespin likes this.
  15. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I believe silver quarters are the hardest. I have only found 2-3 ever going through rolls, and I have searched tons.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Maybe....but I wouldn't mind just going back to the late 1990s and buy junk silver for $5-8/oz.

I was lucky to start collecting in about 1990 and built a decent collection of junk silver US coins throughout the decade. Well, in 2011- early 2013, I periodically sold off most of my junk silver and made seriously profit from the bubble. I then folded that money back into the collection by purchasing nicer grades and key dates.

17. Infamousfrog

Infamousfrog New Member

Yep....... another two boxes of Halves from Loomis and nothing. I think I'm done with halves. Even if I could find one I would say it was all worth it.

18. furryfrog02

Stick with dimes. In my experience, they produce more than halves.

19. Infamousfrog

Infamousfrog New Member

I place my weekly order but this time I did order 2 boxes of dimes and 1 box of quarters. I'm going to have some fun this weekend.

20. furryfrog02

Quarters suck for silver. Not worth the time/effort. Dimes are quick and easy though.

21. Infamousfrog

Infamousfrog New Member

Loomis may be alive. I decided to try my luck with quarters and dimes. And after $500 of each I walked away with 2 quarters and 2 dimes. I'm happy with the results. Or maybe Loomis is just culling halves???

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted