Looks like burnt paint for patina what do you think?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Aug 23, 2020.

1. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Absolutely not me Richard! I am all for criticism and welcome it. As I recall you expressed your opinion in a moderate and constructive way - so all to the good.

Best Wishes

Rob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Can you blame them? Everybody's John Wayne/Bruce Willis/Robert Pattinson/etc. on the interwebs :)

4. LouisvilleKYShop

LouisvilleKYShop New Member

I was not a member but someone told me about the post and I joined to comment. I have a lifetime guarantee so a person can return a coin for any reason and as a top rated seller the program accepts returns automatically for any reason for 30 days before you factor in my added lifetime guarantee. So anyway, having handled the coin I'd say that material is rock hard on the coin. Your hand will not turn black holding it certainly. I'd be surprised if you could get it off. Here is the link and I buy large lots from Heritage and Roma in the UK plus some overflow from other other dealers. So if you look at the tag you will see there are plenty of others I have from that lot I am selling with the same handwriting. Hope some of that helps a bit and I hope it is OK I posted here and the link to the coin sale. If I broke any rules you can remove my post of course. So I hope this is not seen as advertising and if it is in anyway administrator please remove my post and accept my apology.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124301511015

Co1ns, DonnaML and Justin Lee like this.
  5. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Albeit initially skeptical, after reading all the comments, my current opinion changed to that it is indeed horn silver.

6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This looks like hoard patina, which is a healthy layer of horn silver.

Here's a tetradrachm in roughly the same condition, with heavy black patina and some earth still attached. Any attempt to clean it would be a big mistake.

D-Camera Athens tetradrachm, as found, possible imitation, eBay,  17.1 grams,  8-20-20.jpg

Bing, fomovore and paschka like this.
  7. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

100% agree. That's thousands of years "personified". I hope I can find one like this some day.

paschka likes this.
  8. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Here's the most obvious example of horn silver I have -

DSC_2080.JPG DSC_2083.JPG
    - and I actually think that it looks great. Too bad the reverse is different.

Surprisingly, those "glue flow lines" on the obverse are actually metallic. Also, the obverse used to have more shades of red which are darkening now.

PS. I really need to learn how to shoot coins properly...

robinjojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted