Looking Up !

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Michael Bromiley, Jan 11, 2019.

?

What type of doubling ?

1. machine doubling

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. die deterioration

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. actual doubled die

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OK, I was getting a little down because I wasn't really finding much since I started just over a month ago. BUT - I just sent off three pennies that were in almost mint condition to PCGS for grading ( 2000 Wide AM, 1962 D SD, 1943 steel)
    Today I received my coin roll I purchased off of Ebay and started going through it. I guess it's from the mint because all apparently are the same. (I am guessing MS 67-69,) I have only taken out 10 so far and in those 10, I have found three with doubling on the obverse. Since I am new at determining doubling types I am posting one of the coins here. I am not reveling the year or mint because I know it sometimes influences comments like, -"Well there is no doubled die varieties for that year, So..." I will reveal the year and mint later.
    Please, Take a look, respond with your comments, - Hope you are having luck also.

Mike WIN_20190110_23_48_41_Pro.jpg WIN_20190110_23_50_06_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

That pretty much looks to be machine doubling and your coin is a 1989 D.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Thanks --a little off on the date

5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

It's only a guess. Lots of 1989 Ds have this same stuff on them. I have half a bucket full.

6. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Curious as to why you are sending coins to PCGS when you’ve just started collecting and don’t yet have a handle on grading?

I’ve learned, over the years, with any subject that you are interested in, you should read and learn as much as you can before spending money on ancillary things such as grading.

What made you send in the steel cent? Those are fairly common and rarely found in the highest grade that is needed to have the cost of grading pay for itself.

On the 2000, are you 100% certain it’s a WAM and in pristine condition?

Just my opinion but educate yourself before spending big bucks.

DallasCoinsNThings likes this.
  7. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

I Overwhelmingly agree with @frankjg

When deciding on coins you want to have graded, there are some common sense facts that you have to take into consideration.

Sending Coins to PCGS for Grading costs +/-$30 per coin to have graded, not including your initial fee for signing up per year.

If a coin isn't worth at least $30, never send it for grading unless you just want to spend money for someone's opinion.

Personally, I never send in a coin that I don't already KNOW is worth at least $200-300. It is only beneficial if the grading can actually add to the value of the coin. Generally, you are not going to send in coins out of ANY roll that will be MS66+. Not saying it WON'T happen, but you're going to spend a lot to find out!

Personally... your 3 coins you sent to PCGS are worth about $0.06 cents to me.

A 2000 Wide AM on EBay sells for about $20 in MS65.
    I didn't even know there was a "Small Date" 1962-D.
    A 1943 Steel Penny in MS66 sells for about $60 on EBay.

Just giving my humble opinion.

spirityoda and frankjg like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted