Looking to buy a 500 dollar US bill.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by edteach, Feb 14, 2017.

1. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

I am not looking for anything rare or upper condition. I am wanting to pay around 700 to 800 for one. Where is a good place to look? Some sellers want way more than they are valued at.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

4. edteach

Thanks Bill, I saw that one yesterday and made an offer. They would not do under 865 so I passed. For a few hundred more I can get one graded and in better shape.

5. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, that one is well worn. I will let you know if I see another one.

6. nm1560

nm1560 Member

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Used to be able to get these for 600-700.
    Now you can't get a decent condition note for under 1000.
    You can still get one for 750-850 but it will be worn and folded with tears and holes, etc.

8. edteach

1.jpg s-l1600.jpg What would one graded 40 from PCGS go for? I found one on line for 1099 shipped. Its in extra fine condition has two staple marks but not detracting. Other than that its in nice shape.

Blissskr likes this.
  9. Michael K

Looks like there are a number of folds. Horizontally through the middle and vertically on each side of the portrait. Unless that is light from the photo.
    I am guessing $1000 and this should be $800. But those days are gone.

10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You get a way better deal then that on a $500 bill have seen VF+ for $750 very attractive examples to boot.

11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

He will iron out the folds so those aren't a problem.

Endeavor and stlnats like this.
  12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

My advise would be to be patient. There are plenty of $500's out there.

Years ago, I was in the same boat looking for a mid-grade example. I searched for months looking for a problem free note with good eye appeal and original paper. As I looked, I also saved and my budget increased. It's hard to find many VF or XF examples with EPQ or PPQ so I ended buying an AU example for what I thought was a good price. I paid $1,200 and later went looking for a $1,000 note.

[​IMG]

Be cautious buying an ungraded note, unless you are good at detecting folds and pressed notes and can see the note in person. Many of the photographs are enhanced. Buy the note, not the holder.

A $500 note gets a lot of ooh's and aah's from civilians when you show it to them, and the question you get the most is, "Is this real ?"

13. edteach

I settled on one. Its graded and that to me adds at least 50 to 75 dollars in value. Its graded 40 EF. Has two staple hole marks but for me its a very nice looking note. I paid 1050 for it.

Attached Files:

Endeavor, Michael K and mikenoodle like this.
  14. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

My grandfather had one, it was cool to see that much money in one place when I was 10 years old. I hope to someday get one myself. It looks waaaay cooler when you have a $500 on the outside of your roll than when you have a $100.

Endeavor likes this.
  15. edteach

I had the chance to buy one for 599 years ago and thought that was too expensive. Should of would of.

Michael K likes this.
  16. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Yeah. Imagine how bad the people who spent it for $500 FV feel now : ( They could've turned it in for 500 oz of silver. Ooops. That's about $8100 today. I like how it says McKinley will pay to the bearer on demand 500 dollars! Like he would personally pay you.

17. edteach

most of the people who spent it if they are alive are worried about if they will be tomorrow.

180IQ likes this.
  18. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Ouch! You know the us didn't stop the silver redemption until 65 ish. If you were 20 in 1965, you would only be 72.

19. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I hope 72 is the new 50, because otherwise I only have 40 years until I'm worrying about whether or not I'll be alive tomorrow!

20. edteach

Look at it this way, The 500s went out in 69, so if you were 25 in 69 that would put you at 73 now. The ALS of a typical American is 78 years.

21. Michael K

Your graded note, says that it's a "mule". Can you elaborate on your new note a little more please?
    Maybe SteveInTampa would know why this note is a mule.

Draft saved Draft deleted