Looking pretty Proofy...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevin Farley, Apr 17, 2021.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Ok xf then what more do you want!!!!!we gave you answers and you didn't like them,don't cry and tell us were wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Me saying it displayed proof characteristics was FAAAARRRRR closer to being true than the laughable assessment you made. This Eagle Cent would be Undergraded at XF in my opinion, without a shadow of a doubt. You can pretty much wear the rest of the coin away but if the eagle still looks like this one, its grading XF or better

4. potty dollar 1878

Count me in,how much do you have (MR morgan) I'd be gladly to take them off your hands:):).

5. Kevin Farley

Lol, I'm not crying man, I'm looking for reasonable people.
    You're not giving me answers lol, you're trolling me. I really hope you guys are at least for your sake... if you call this VF then don't bother ever asking my request for a second opinion again lol

6. potty dollar 1878

OK I really don't care,didn't give a shit about you anyway for this reason,goodbye.

7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

This FE has very unusual wear.

On the obverse, the breast feathers are in the 50 range, but the tailfeathers are in the 35 range. "OF AMERICA" looks odd or a low grade as well. Missing chunk from the the 'T' in UNITED raises an eyebrow for me.

There are dots below the D in United, and just below the T & A in STATES. Are they raised?

On the reverse, the wear is not consistent with the obverse, and I put the reverse around F15. The E & N in cent are not complete as well.

This FE is slabbed, but by who?

There are enough questionable aspects to this coin (to me at least) that make me ask the question;

Are you sure this is a genuine FE?

8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I am also not convinced that it's real. Your more recent pictures are great, but have you gone over to Heritage or PCGS and looked at images? In addition to what @Beefer518 says, there's a big chunk missing in the right wing, and lots of missing detail inside the left wing etc. The missing parts of E and N on the reverse are strange. It's certainly not a proof, and if real, I'd say VF35 obverse and F12 reverse, net VF20-25.

Morgandude11 and Beefer518 like this.
  9. Kevin Farley

Yeah, I didn't think it was real at first either, and I'm also not convinced. However I've measured and weighed it multiple times and it's spot on. Also if you take the time to check it against PCGS examples there are many with Die Cracks forming right where all the missing areas are on the different letters, which would explain that. However sending it in is the only way to know for sure whether it is in fact genuine... now if we could only find someone who had a clue how to give a reasonable grade on here

10. Beefer518

So you're looking for someone who agrees with you, no matter what the coin says?

Morgandude11 and micbraun like this.
  11. Kevin Farley

No I can't say that I am sure. Weight, and dimensions are spot on, but there are definitely still question marks

12. Kevin Farley

You can believe what you'd like. After getting opinions on here and seeing how those coins are graded when they return have proven people that lowball graders on here don't know what they're talking about

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Let’s play fair please. The coin’s strike is not bad for the series, but it shows a considerable amount of wear. Color, luster, details are not what I’d expect of an AU coin. It was also cleaned, that’s why it has this shiny look and the strange colors. I am at XF details/cleaned - if it’s authentic - and would return it if that’s still an option.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Morgandude11 and Beefer518 like this.
  14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I am certainly no expert but I don't like the looks of it at all. Kind of rough surfaces and small bumps, the strike is very odd for a flying eagle cent. I don't think it is genuine.

Beefer518 likes this.
  15. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin. I see you are back and in full form. IMO, the FE is VF at best, coloring is weird and I question genuineness.

micbraun and Beefer518 like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The weak tail feathers tell us that it is not a proof. I'm not sure if the coin is real or not but the obverse is XF and the reverse is F. The reverse could be caused by a filled or worn die. If real I feel it would be VF Details Messed With.

17. Beefer518

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

"Messed With" should be an official descriptor for the head scratchers.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Exactly what I thought, and you know Flying Eagle Cents far better than I. In any case, it is a bizarre looking coin.

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

When you send this one in give us an update here on what it graded.
    The coin has a very uneven amount of wear as already said.
    The reason I said it would grade VF.

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Well...everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. But, that "undergraded" in XF is a reach. I would be willing to state that it has XF details...but the surfaces of that coin look altered to me. I almost wonder if it has been tooled. The amount of detail on the Eagle doesn't look right with the overall condition of the rest of the coin.

This coin is clearly not a proof.

I remember that thread...but I did not comment. The photos you posted showed a coin that looked to have altered surfaces. I would have said AU details as well. It looks like PCGS called it low grade MS. Your newer photo looks to show a coin with original surfaces. It's a common date Morgan probably worth less than the cost of having it graded. So...you win?

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Why do you say "should be"...?

1857_eagle_messed_with.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted