Looking for US based dealers of English hammered coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by justbored, Aug 20, 2019.

1. justbored

justbored Active Member

My specialty is obsolete notes, but I've recently become interested in English hammered coins. I'm having trouble finding US based dealers with websites and was hoping some people might have some suggestions. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm not too familiar with those, but you might check out Mark Breitsprecher at mrbcoins.com... Mark is great!

4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I’ve dealt with Davisson’s in Cold Spring, MN. Great auctions, fast service and great customer service.

Steve

Fugio1 likes this.
  5. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

CNG has a good selection of quality English hammered coins, both in their auctions and online store. Prices in the online store are high, but a reasonable offer will usually be accepted.
    https://cngcoins.com/Default.aspx

Stevearino likes this.
  6. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I agree, Davissons is very good.

8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I agree with those people that have suggested Davisson's and CNG. Another dealer that I really like is Antony Wilson, who runs York Coins (www.yorkcoins.com). Unfortunately he has been rather inactive as of late, and I'm worried he may be getting out of the business. Holding History Inc is a very good seller on ebay, and usually has a good number of English hammered coins.

If you are in the Mid-Atlantic region I would recommend finding a coin show that has Andy Singer attending. He is a true expert in a number areas of medieval coinage and is one of the best dealers in out there with an unrivaled inventory. He is also a great guy.
    https://www.dnw.co.uk/about-us/staff/person.php?id=8

tibor, justbored and Stevearino like this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I second the recommendation of Holding History. I have bought from him with no problems. He is also a member here.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have known Andy for decades. There was a time that it bothered me greatly that he had so few ancients and so many medievals but we both have mellowed a bit with my interest in later coins and his adding Romans (he still avoids Greek). I define a good show as one where I see Andy.

tibor and Stevearino like this.
  11. justbored

justbored Active Member

Thanks for all the great answers!

Stevearino likes this.
  12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I've known Dr. Singer for 20+ years. Very knowledgeable and friendly.
    I would also ask @Aethelred for advice.

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted