Looking for provenance: the H.R. Mossop collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

This very small silver Durotriges "three men in a boat / thunderbolt" quarter stater was sold to me as "ex HR Mossop collection".

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-biYORMbHqYB0Bzn1.jpg
    I know there is some discussion whether the obverse should be rotated 180 degrees, and thus should represent a wolf or a porcupine, but that's another story (and I like to think about it as a boat :p)

HR Mossop was apparently a proficient collector of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon coins. A large part of his collection was sold in 1991 in an auction by Glendinging's London.
    upload_2019-11-21_11-35-49.png

I bought the coin from @AnYangMan, who bought it from HA-Europe in 2018, as part of a group lot. It would be nice if I could check whether this coin was indeed part of the Mossop collection, however I've used all my online sources without any result. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Broucheion, Curtisimo, DCCR and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

Have you (a) seen the Glendining 1991 catalogue, and verified the coin can't be in it, or (b) seen the catalogue and the coin can't be positively identified as there are unillustrated or group lots, or (c) have not seen the catalogue and are asking for help?

Different answers in three cases. If (a) then either theres another Mossop sale or the provenance is in error. If (b) then the convention is to accept such an obscure provenance based on the say-so of prior owners because it'll never be verifiable further yet that say-so is a valuable representation. If (c) then I hope someone can help, I dont have that sale. (c) of course leads to three possibilities, one that its there, one that its definitely not per (a) and one that its uncertain per (b) and you'll have to take it on trust.

Complex logic but provenance hunters often have to go thru such a process.

AnYangMan and Theodosius like this.
  4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

@Andrew McCabe I should have been more clear. The answer to the multiple choice question is C: I have not seen the catalogue and am asking for help.

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Andres2 and Curtisimo like this.
  6. DCCR

DCCR Member

That's a lovely coin. I can't help you with your question I'm afraid, but do have some opinions on whether the obverse is a boat, boar, or what seems to be the latest marketting fad, a wolf.

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted