Looking For Opinions/Recommendations

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jarex, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jarex

Jarex New Member

I want to send out quite a few of my coins to get graded. I know there is PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. Is there any one out of those three that anyone would recommend above the others?
    I have heard about people sending out coins to any of the three and not receiving their coins back that they sent out, and have even heard about people receiving their coins back but they have been cleaned.
    Does anyone have any recommendation as to which one is the most trustworthy to send coins to get graded?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I have heard about people sending obviously cleaned coins to a TPG, and complaining that the TPG must have damaged them when they come back in Details slabs.

I have heard about people steadfastly maintaining that the coin they got back from the TPG was not the one they sent in, because the one they sent in was surely in a much higher grade than the one they got back.

I have heard many, many, many stories of people trying to blame their bad luck or bad judgement on someone else.

Yes, I've also heard a few stories where the TPGs actually goofed. But being imperfect doesn't make them untrustworthy.

markr and Paul M. like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Trust all three but what are you sending in.

markr and PlanoSteve like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If this is your first time sending coins in as a collector, I would recommend ANACS. Your mistakes will be much less costly with them than the other two, and you will probably make some mistakes.

Amos 811, ldhair, Stevearino and 3 others like this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I agree with @Paul M. Years ago when I decided to have my costlier coins slabbed, I did it with ANACS. They are fast and inexpensive. Or at least they were then...... Disregard the horror stories you may have heard. The TPG's are first class business outfits that have absolutely nothing to gain by swindling one persons coin. Usually when folks get back a coin they weren't educated enough to realize had been cleaned, and the returned coin is noted as cleaned... Well, they get on the warpath and make false accusations. The TPG's are first class outfits and will properly grade and return your coins.

7. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

I think ANACS is running a special till the end of November. 10 coins for under $100 or something like that, their webpage will have the details.

Santinidollar, Amos 811 and Paul M. like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Larry. It depends on what you will be submitting.

Yes, ANACS is the cheapest. If you use NGC, you have no fear of publicly complaining about their service on their forums. However, if you complain about PCGS service on Collectors Universe, please be aware that you will be promptly banned.

This is just my opinion.

Chris

ldhair, Paul M. and Stevearino like this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The NGC forum is minimally active to put it nicely, there's things on the first page from 10 days ago or more with 5 replies or less. The CU comment really isn't true either unless you get belligerent, make wild claims, or are just a jerk in general. Frankly more people should be banned from all forums with some of the wild claims they make

10. Jarex

Jarex New Member

Three 1998 Wide AM pennies, one 2000 Wide AM penny, and a '64, '65, '66, '67, and '68 uncirculated pennies

Amos 811 likes this.
  11. baseball21

You want PCGS or at the very least NGC for those. Moderns you want a first tier TPG for sure

markr likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It depends what coins you are sending, the condition you expect and if any are errors or varieties.

Welcome to CT.

13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Nothing on your list typically merits slabbing unless they are MS coins in a high MS state (Wide AMs might stand lower MS grading and be worth it). That said, you don't have to justify that with anyone here. Just consider the populations of slabbed coins in the grade you suspect they would be judged at. Visit the sites/Heritage and eBay and see what folks are paying for them first.

markr, Amos 811 and ldhair like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You don't want to send these in. The grading fees are more than the value of the coins.

paddyman98 and Santinidollar like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Would anyone consider ICG?

16. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

i started with pcgs. The most expensive however i found them helpful when you have questions and the return is the best.

17. cpm9ball

I realize that things have changed over the years, and it is kind of sad that the NGC forums have lost appeal. At least there, you always knew that you could bring up complaints about NGC, whether valid or not, without fear of retribution.

Although I don't frequent CU any more, I still hear from others who've said that it hasn't changed much and you still have to be careful about what you say.

Chris

18. baseball21

If people took the same attitude there that they feel they have a right to on CU they would be banned as well.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The grading costs will out weight the act. Please don't waste your money.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You have it right about CU Chris but I'll add that you must be very, very careful what you say and who you say it to. One wrong word can be enough to get you the boot. With that said, it's still a great site to learn and chat with friends.

I still like NGC and wish more folks posted there. They lost a lot of members when the software changed. Many did not come back because of all the problems.

21. cpm9ball

In 10 years of participation on Collectors Society, I never saw anyone banned for complaining about NGC.

th6YHDX21H.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted