Looking for online Coin dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by adiorio110, Nov 25, 2011.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, if the coins you purchased were, in fact, "undergraded", you wouldn't be complaining and had no right to leave negative feedback. UNDERgraded would mean the coins were offered/sold as being a lesser grade than they really are, while OVERgraded would mean they were offered as a grade higher than reality.

Now, how do you know they were "altered", "cleaned" or "under(over)graded"? In another thread just a few weeks ago, you openly admitted to not knowing how to grade and called the suggestion to learn a "tall order" if I recall correctly. How can you sit here and fault them by saying they "aren't really pros as they don't know how to grade the stuff they sell" when you, a self-professed "dealer" with a claimed "7 years" experience, don't know how to grade the stuff you sell? A finer example may not exist on this board of a pot call the kettle black....

Trust me, I'm certainly not defending GSC here, but the problem isn't just with them, but rests mostly with you. Had you, as common sense dictates and was suggested in the other thread, bothered to learn you likely could've avoided making such purchases in the first place; after all, I'm quite sure GSC didn't put a gun to your head, and that you were all too willing to lay your money down. It's easy to blame someone else when things do not go our way, but you weren't buying on the blind; even their deceptive photos provide sufficient evidence for one who cares enough to learn to see the coins are (usually) not all they're cracked up to be. With all due respect, perhaps it's time to take a long look in the mirror.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sandheath

Sandheath Member

I edited that post earlier. I'd meant to say overgraded. I'd never leave neg. feedback for an undergraded coin. Who would! I think we're getting things a little mixed up here. All the coins I bought from GSC I sent off to NGC. About 50% had been altered somewhere along the line, and all (advertised as mostly Gem BU++) were overgraded by NGC. I take 'Gem BU++' to mean approx. MS65. BTW, I only sell graded coins or raw coins that have been professionally appraised. I've not received 1 neutral or negative fdbk. for raw coins I've sold because I advertise them as they had been appraised by a pro. I hope this clears things up. Let me address something else. NO online photo can give anyone an indication of quality.

4. Sandheath

Sandheath Member

All were overgraded by GSC, NOT NGC.

5. BooksB4Coins

Yes, I see that; after someome pointed it out in the other anti-GSC rant, you indeed edited it. At least you're now familiar with the correct term.

Unfortunately, nothing is being mixed up here; it's all loud and clear, sir. You, as many thousands before you, bought raw with the super slick and certainly never tried before (har har) idea that you'd submit and reap the rewards, yet predictably failed, and now want to blame all on the seller when the painful fact is this isn't on GSC, but on you. Please, don't sit here and poo poo about how the coins were claimed to be this or be that, and present yourself as the poor faultless victim; you're not. You, as an, ahem, "dealer" aiming only for that profit, have the responsibility to KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING. It's one thing for a collector, and particularly a new one, to make such a foolish move, but since this was for a supposed "business", you deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

And please... don't give me this crap that "NO online photo can give anyone an indication of quality"; it's utter nonsense and nothing more than an attempt to deflect responsibility. Photos may not be an across-the-board substitute for in-hand viewing, but they absolutely CAN give an indication of quality, and this includes GSC photos. Perhaps, and in all seriousness, if you actually knew how to grade, and understood all that comes with it, you would realize this.

There are inherent risks when buying raw, and no matter who you purchase from, yet you don't seem to think this doesn't apply to you. Again, buying raw, submitting, and reaping the rewards, particularly when one doesn't know how to grade, is a sucker's bet, and one that's been tried countless times by everyone from dreamy-eyed wannabe dealers to deal-seeking newbie "experts" and everything in between. It's been happening for many years now and without a doubt will continue for many, many more; as long as there's a draw to what seems like easy money, fools will, regretably, continue to part with theirs. You can claim it was all just a little test or that I'm a big meaning for saying this, but the clear fact is that you fell squarely into the trap set for buyers just like you, and the sooner you realize and accept this, the better off you and your wallet will be.

6. Sandheath

Sandheath Member

OK, you don't get it. I didn't buy to reap any rewards. No rewards were expected. I was investigating GSC plain and simple. I decided to set aside some money to buy some of their coins. I wanted to see for myself what they were doing. Was this all legit on their part? I suspected it wasn't. And based on my experience what they're doing is not legit. I knew I'd lose money. I didn't care. And by posting feedback, I wanted to alert others. But ebay removed the feedback. Please let me know if you don't understand this. Maybe I haven't been clear.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Sandheath

Sandheath Member

I reread your post. I'm not sure where you're coming from. You seem angry and I'm not sure why. And you're reading stuff into my posts that aren't there. I'm not claiming victim status. How'd you arrive at that?? And photos of raw coins are pretty much useless, especially compared to having a coin in hand. GSC photos are useless. Most of the coins I bought from them didn't look like they did in the photos. I could go on, but won't bother. You just don't get what I'm doing. I'll take some responsibility in that maybe I wasn't clear.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

What are you on about?

9. Robbie Leigh

Robbie Leigh New Member

Hi I was wondering if there was anyone out there that could possibly help me. I have a 1926 S Buffalo Nickel in excellent condition. I was told that it could possibly be worth a little bit of money. Does anyone out there know anything about Buffalo nickels if so could you possibly help me or maybe point me in the right direction? Thank you so much.

10. BooksB4Coins

Please consider starting another dedicated thread and posting clear photos of the coin. Welcome to the forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted