Looking for online Coin dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by adiorio110, Nov 25, 2011.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

So does PCGS, sometimes as high as 86% of a given coin submitted to PCGS get the 70 grade.

But what you have to consider is what those coins are ? It happens with modern commems, it happens with modern Proofs, and it happens with bullion coins. Beyond that, it doesn't happen. At least not very often.

But with SGS - it happened with everything.

Making such a comparison is a bit over the top.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

But you dont see making a statement that Feedback is useless is "Over The Top" .. I have sold and bought plenty of Items on Ebay and have depended on Feedback... So far I have NOT been disappointed. Of course there will be bad apples .. But when we are discussing GSC. You give me SGS as an example on how I shouldnt trust GSC. I have been to the rodeo more than once and I understand there is always a chance of being ripped off, but GSC has a return policy that NO one has disputed as far as I know. So it seems that you will have a chance to check out the coin and return it if you are not happy. Maybe they dont have bad feedback because the people that received coins and didn't know better where happy with them or didnt care about the details, and the people who were dissatisfied received thier money back. I would image someone new to the hobby would face those same problems when dealing face too face with a dealer and seeing the coin. I myself would not know if a coin was cleaned improperly or if it had altered toning. Point is who can you really trust.. What I would do is get a second opinion on the coin no matter WHO I deal with. And if they have a return policy they honor. Then No Harm No Foul. If you do not follow up you have only yourself to blame. If someone continuely sells me inferior products then I would not deal with them at all.

I ask do you know of anyone personal that has not been able to get there moneyback as per thier return agreement. If not I still can not see the downside.

I know Im a little hard headed.

4. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

BTW... I'M A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED NO ONE LIKES ME :(

I want to be Liked ....Please someone like me LOL

5. GDJMSP

I'm not comparing SGS to GSC - not in way, shape of form. The only reason I brought up SGS was to show you that known scumbags could have perfect or nearly perfect feedback.

The entire discussion was to show why feedback is worthless. That's all. Not a single comment of mine had anything to do with GSC.

6. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

Jason...

I see your satisfied with GSC ...may I ask what your level of experience is collecting coins and if you had the grade of the coin verified by yourself, if qualified or anyone else.

Thanks
    Anthony

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I was going to ask the same. I have had families bring me entire collections that were mostly cleaned and/or grossly overpriced that their father had collected. I have also seen large collections consisting mainly of fake Chinese or ancient jewish coins. Simply the fact that you are happy with them does not prove they sell good coins at decent prices. Not to sound like a jerk Jason, but have you sent any of these coins to a TPG, or taken them to a respected dealer at a show to ask his opinions? That is what we are asking sir, basically who has seen these coins and verified they are good quality coins with no problems, at a decent price.

Seriously, not trying to be mean, simply trying to help. 30 years ago I was buying junk, damaged or cleaned coins because I was excited to buy them under book value. Worst coins I ever bought in my life, and a complete waste of money. Many of us have the same experience, and simply are trying to save others the same.

Chris

ToughCOINS likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

adiorio - you might want to take a look at post #31 again. Mark is a coin dealer and has been for many years. He was also a professional grader for NGC for like 8 or 9 years.

It's usually a good idea to pay attention to what the man says when it comes to coins ;)

Me ? I'm just a nobody who's been doing this for 50 years. But Mark, Mark is a pro. One of the good guys ;)

9. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

The love is just pouring in now...I'm not worthy ...I'm not worthy ..... :eek:

10. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

You can choose to feel insulted and/or have your feelings hurt, or even not to believe what some of us are telling you. Or, you can choose to understand that many of us have been in your shoes at one time or another and benefit from it. :)

This forum can serve as a valuable aid for just about anyone who allows it to.

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

This works to the original poster and for you - 900Fine, Northeast Coin, Harlan J Berk, The executive coin company and don't forget heritage. Bidding on heritage you can beat some of the retail prices for coins. I have used all of these with success.

12. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

O Boy it seems I am getting off on the wrong foot
    My skin is a little thicker that that.... Im am not hurt offend or anything like that ...I hope you are not.

Everything thing you guys told me was either third party and or hearsay. Neither one of you mention dealing directly with them....

I asked a person with first hand knowledge to elaborate. Doesn't mean I discount anything You or GMJMSP have to say... I happen to be very inquisitive

I learn alot when I visit forums because of gentleman like yourself ..but it is not my way to blindly follow along without testing the waters.

Believe me I I know I will learn alot from reading the post in here, and what you forgot, will probably be more than I ever learn.

I still like to do some of my own homework.

Peace.

13. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

Thank You Mark

I have bookmarked your suggestions .. Northeast and HA have been mentioned a few times. Have you used Teletrade?

Anthony

14. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Glad to hear you aren't upset and that you don't follow blindly. I applaud you for digging into matters thoroughly.

It is true, I haven't dealt with the dealer being discussed. And that is because I have seen and heard enough, such that I don't trust their images. I know that coins, especially Proofs, can't be graded accurately from (even very good) images. And that's regardless of how sharp the person is who is trying to do the grading.

I am also confident that a large majority of their uncertifdied coins would grade out (or in some cases, no-grade) so as to be bad deals.

Their excellent feedback is probably due to their allowing returns (which more more knowledgeable buyers take them up on). Meanwhile, the buyers who don't know how to grade particularly well, leave positive feedback, being happy with coins which they mistakenly think are good deals.

I have taught the advanced grading class at the ANA seminar in Colorado Springs on two different occasions and also assisted briefly in the beginner's class on one of those occasions. I have also tried to assist a good many collectors at shows and on various forums over a long period of time.

And, with no disrespect to any of them or you, a large majority of collectors are not proficient at grading. The same can be said of a good many dealers. In fact, a number of dealers were students in my classes.

If you buy an uncertified coin, thinking it is grade X, but it is more accurately graded as X-1 or X-2 or X-3, whatever, or as no-grade, your good deal can easily become a bad deal.

In my 30+ years in the business, I have seen far too much disappointment and/or anger and/or heart break, as owners of coins learned that they didn't have what they thought they did. Or, for that matter, even close to it. I'm admittedly on a long term crusade, to try to prevent as much of that as I can.

Edited to add:

If asked, I would have similar comments about numerous other sellers (besides the one brought up in this thread) of uncertified coins.

15. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

My level of experience wouldn't be 100th of a fraction of that of folks like Mark Feld, GDMJSP, Medorman, and many others on this site. I should have mentioned that I only buy slabbed coins from GSC, usually PCGS graded peace dollars. I can see where people would have a problem with much of their merchandise, because some of the toning on the ungraded coins looks unnatural. Anthony, I am not judging you, but just wanted to let you know that some of the people on this site are the most experienced in the world when it comes to numismatics. I am fairly new to the forum as well, and often half cocked with my posts, and responses... Now that I am settling in, I can tell you their true intentions are to help. I don't know about you, but if I'm playing cards, and Phil Ivey offers to give me a free lesson, I'm going to take it.

~Jason

16. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

Believe me ... I know what time it is, and I know they are steering me in the right direction. I read Marks bio on his website. Pretty impressive to say the least. If I could afford it, I would already have purchased a few of his coins.

My plan is to do a mid range. By that I mean F - AU type set. Then see where it takes me. I figure I'll catch less lumps that way.

Maybe someday when I look at it as an potential investment vehicle and if HE recommends it I'll buy a few coins from him.

17. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

The best way to show how feedback on ebay is useless is......I could open an account and sell golden $1 coins starting at 1 cent with free shipping. I could have a couple hundred positive feedback in a matter of days. Yes I would lose money. Then I start listing gold bullion coins for sale and wait for the suckers to send the money. With a couple hundred positive feedback people will have no problem "trusting me" as i have perfect feedback. Then just take the money and run.

It happens alot on ebay.

There are alot of members here to learn from and most are willing to help teach us.

*edit*
    There is a site called toolhaus that will tell you a persons neg/neutral ebay feedback for the life of the account

18. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Me too man. I love the look of a nice natural grey in old U.S. silver. Rarely will I go AU+, unless it has a nice natural tone and is within my price range. I still get excited about LIB on a barber half =]

19. adiorio110

adiorio110 New Member

Please let me know who else to be careful of.

Heres a couple of the coins on your site I like
    dollarTrade1876pcgsPR64.jpg
    Does the nick in the rim at 12:30 hold this coin back at all?

halfdollar1909pcgsPR64.jpg

20. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Anybody ever buy from Village Coin? I have been taking a look at some of this stuff and have been wanting to purchase and never did. Is it legit? http://www.villagecoin.com/

21. GDJMSP

In regard to GSC there's a reason that I have never dealt with them personally. It's because I would not deal with them.

The best advice I could ever give anyone when it comes to buying coins is to know your seller. Another way to put that is to only buy coins, any coin, from sellers that you have absolute trust in.

Now rather obviously with every seller there is going to be a first time you buy from them. In those situations, only buy from sellers that somebody else that you have absolute trust in recommends them.

In both cases, the seller has to have a no questions asked return policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted