Looking for LCS near Berkeley, CA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paul M., Mar 11, 2015.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

So, I've been looking for a LCS that will get my business in between shows, when I don't feel like trolling eBay/Heritage/GC/etc. I haven't had a lot of luck, because I'm looking for a place that
    • Has weekend hours. It doesn't have to be much, even 11-2 on Saturday would be fine.
    • Doesn't have all the merchandise (and staff!) behind bulletproof glass.
    • Actually has numismatic coins on display. The more the better, but I want to see at least a few hundred nice coins out on display.
    • Carries more than just low grade stuff.
    • Preferably carries certified coins.
    • Is actually a real, brick & mortar shop.
    • Has an owner / staff that are friendly and knowledgeable.
    • Preferably located within 20 minutes drive.
    I've found a few places that meet some of those criteria, but not all. For example, there's a place right off 19th street BART in downtown Oakland that has weekend hours, displays a good selection of coins, and is somewhat convenient to get to; but their coins on display are 99.9% low-grade stuff except for a few random modern proofs, and they don't really deal in certified coins. I get the feeling it's more of a pawn shop than anything.

I'm willing to drive if I have to (the best I've seen so far is The Coin Broker in Palo Alto, but that's a long drive, and getting *out* of Palo Alto is a pain in the butt). And, certified coins are not an absolute must, but I like to see them in a shop because it shows that the owner/staff actually care about coins.

Can anyone help me? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted