looking for information on roman coins/tokens unsuitable to post

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by enochian, Sep 15, 2013.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

because of the forum rules pictures can not be posted of these im guessing so if you have any of this type say what you have and pm me the picture (we really should have a 18+ section here coin related of course)

the coins/tokens im talking about depict certain acts i just came acrossed some articles and was wondering how much they are and where do they sell them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've only seen one come up for auction recently. There may have been more that I did not notice.

To answer your question about where to get them, try searching upcoming auctions through an auction aggregator site like numisbids.com or sixbid.com.

A quick search on acsearch.info (using the term 'sprintiae') showed only a few recent sales, thousands of dollars per coin.

There are many on eBay but I suspect most/all are replicas or are otherwise not authentic.

For additional information, Google 'sprintiae'. I just did and came across a couple of absolutely hysterical coins depicting (...ahem...) junk with wings. Nearly spewed coffee on the keyboard. That would be such a funny coin to own!

Good luck with your hunt!

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There are lots of reproductions on eBay. Here's a set for $22.50.

sprintiae reproductions

I have no idea if they are faithful copies or just fantasy pieces.

stevex6 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow ... nice

=> man, and to think that I've been wasting my time collecting animal-coins all of this time!! ... I think stevex6 has a new coin direction to pursue!! (oh, and by the way I said "direction")

=> thanks for the lead ...

;)

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Careful Jerry. Tread lightly my friend

vlaha likes this.
  7. enochian

enochian silver eater

Lol. The only one i seen on ebay was made into a ring but i used a very common key word plus roman coin so that might be why. I figured they might be way out of my budget

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Sprintriae are exceedingly rare, as least from what I've seen. The ones I've noticed for sale on occasion were in poor condition, and cost a small fortune. The ones in good condition trade in the realm of large museum budgets.

They are entertaining pieces. I have yet to come across the type I would have used: all of the above please. :D

stevex6 likes this.
  9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The coins today known as "spintriae" are actually only a small part of a series of bronze tesserae struck during the Julio-Claudian dynasty. The majority of the series actually depict a portrait of a member of the Imperial household. For a decent, open-minded discussion of the spintriae in the popular media, see here. (N.B. - almost all of the pieces illustrated there are modern reproductions). I actually wrote my undergraduate thesis on the Roman tesserae, including pieces like these, but I focused more on the lead tokens,

The most up-to-date research on the group is: Campana, Alberto. 2009. “Le Spintriae: Tessere Romane con Raffigurazioni Erotiche.” In La Donna Romana Imagini e Vita Quotidiana, 43–96.

The most recent English examination: Buttrey, T.V. 1973. “The Spintriae as a Historical Source.” Numismatic Chronicle 13 7: 52–63, pl. III–IV.

The erotic pieces are too expensive for my taste, but I have some examples from the Imperial portrait series:

[​IMG]
    ROME. Augustus. 27 BC-14 AD​
    Æ Tessera (21mm, 4.24 g)​
    Struck mid 1st century AD​
    Laureate head right, FEL below​
    Large V within dotted circle, all within wreath​
    Buttrey 5/- (unlisted reverse numeral)​
    [​IMG]
    ROME. Germanicus. Died AD 19.
    Æ Tessera (21mm, 3.72 g, 2 h)
    Cuirassed bust right, seen from behind; all within wreath
    Large III; all within wreath
    Buttrey 17/III
    Ex Alberto Campana Collection (Numismatica Ars Classica 64, 17 May 2012), lot 2453​

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great pieces, Bill!!

Draft saved Draft deleted