Looking for info on a few coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by TerriUS, Mar 12, 2017.

1. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

20170312_205502.jpg 20170312_205439.jpg 20170312_205600.jpg 20170312_205523.jpg 20170312_205215.jpg 20170312_205049.jpg Hello I'm new to the group I can't wait to learn more about my old coins.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Well the only only old one is the last one. It could be a guinea or a half guinea, depending on weight. Either way it is worth quite a bit if genuine. We need to know the weight. The other two don't look to be anything exceptional, but I did not look them up.

4. Odomax

Odomax Member

I don't know much about any but moderns, but I really like that first lion coin. Welcome to the class, I'm new too but have found the members to be extremely helpful and generous with their knowledge. Mark

5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome! Here's what I found after a quick search:

1. Belgium, 5 francs, 1939, composition is nickel. This is the variety KM#117, with the Flemish version of the country name (Belgie) on the left and the French version (Belgique) on the right; there is also a version with the order reversed. There are some sub-varieties based on the edge of the coin (which I can't see in your photos). If the edge has lettering and a star, it's the super-common variety and worth maybe a buck. If the edge has lettering but with a crown, it's scarcer and worth a few dollars; even scarcer is a milled edge (a bunch of parallel ridges, like on a US quarter) with no lettering, crowns, or stars- that could be worth a few dozen dollars.

2. Italy, 100 lire, 1956, composition is stainless steel. A beautiful design, but also very common (99.8 million struck), so worth very little (probably no more than a dollar).

3. Great Britain, uncertain denomination (would depend on size/weight), 1790, copper. The most interesting of your coins, and not just because it's the oldest. Great Britain had a problem making enough copper coins during the late 18th century, and there was a gap of about 20 years in which no official copper coins were made at all. 1790 is one of those gap years, so this is not an official British mint coin. However, there were a variety of private companies and individuals who made copper tokens during this time, some of which (like this one) do look very much like official coins, except for the impossible date. I don't have a catalog of this series, but hopefully someone can provide more info.

Curtisimo and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Re: 3, The design does resemble the gold guinea of the time. However, it doesn't look like it's made of gold, definitely a coppery color to it. Possibly a contemporary forgery that was gold-plated at one time, or maybe a jeton (metal counter, used to keep track of coins). Or maybe it really is a genuine gold guinea or half guinea, and the color just looks weird in the photo? Definitely worth further research. A precise size (diameter) and weight would be very helpful.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

Ok I'll try to get that info I also have a lot of old coins. Can I upload them all to a album on my profile? I'll see if I can weigh it now.

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

You should post this on the World Coins forum. I'm sure there's about ten people there who can tell you exactly what that last one is. As stated, the first two are pretty common. Interesting but not much value.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

10. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

I was able to get pictures of all of them.

Attached Files:

11. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

12. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

13. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

Any idea if these are rare? 20170313_013606.jpg

14. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

15. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

20170313_014251.jpg hope it's ok to add these pics here.

16. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

Lots of coins 20170313_014608.jpg

17. TerriUS

TerriUS New Member

Any help idenifing these coins please.

18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

longshot likes this.
  19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That is why I said "if genuine". The only coins minted that year were the gold guinea and half guinea.

Draft saved Draft deleted