Looking for help with possible half dollar varieties.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MB91, Dec 12, 2018.

1. MB91

MB91 Member

I found a few 1971-D, one 1973-D, and two Bicentennial half dollars tonight that might show some doubling. (Not the easiest for me to discern!) I’ve spent countless hours trying to educate myself on half dollars, but I always like to get feedback from people more experienced. Not sure if I’m allowed to post 6-7 coins. Please help! I want this to be more than a hobby one day and want to keep learning. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Post the pics. Most would probably agree they'd like it all here rather than 6-7 threads. Out of curiosity, did you already check them against the known Doubled Dies for the years? That's usually the best place to start.

4. MB91

MB91 Member

Yes, always check my books and online.

5. MB91

MB91 Member

6. MB91

MB91 Member

34C58B5A-F41A-4802-89FF-BAA3505A5C68.jpeg AE1924F7-3389-40DC-A9A2-DA8837FD853E.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. MB91

MB91 Member

8. MB91

MB91 Member

9. MB91

MB91 Member

10. MB91

MB91 Member

11. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

It would help us help you greatly if you would identify what area on each coin you are wanting us too look at like on #5. Which I can tell you is Machine Doubling like in my avatar. There are 17 possible DDO's possible on the '71D and 3 RPM's listed on Variety Vista. Many of them will be too difficult for us to determine via your photos(which are well taken). There is also one major '73 DDO and RPM. Check out that site and then review your coins again.

12. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

They're all what is known as
    ejection/mechanical/shelf/machine
    doubling. (based on the photos shown)

Part of the minting process - not errors,
    and they're not Doubled Dies, I'm sorry to say.,

Draft saved Draft deleted