Looking for help identifying my ancient greek coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Heythere7, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Heythere7

Heythere7 New Member

hey guys,
    so as the title goes i'v found at my greek grandfather's home an old greek coin.
    would like to know anything about it, or at least a reference to someone who could know anything regarding the coin's history.
    thanks!

Attached Files:

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Not greek, but Roman emperor Gordianus III ruled from 238-244 , reverse looks like PAX holding an olive branch. dimensions and weight would help for a better description.

Heythere7 and Curtisimo like this.
  4. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

As Andres2 says, it´s a Roman emperor, Gordian III.

IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    PM TRP IIII COS II PP, SC in exe. Apollo seated left, bare to waist,
    holding branch and resting left elbow on lyre. Struck 241/2 (you can see TRP IIII which falls into those years).

RIC 302, Cohen 3.

5. Heythere7

Heythere7 New Member

Thanks a lot guys!
    Although i am not familier with the terms you are using, amongst them "RIC 302, Cohen 3". Cohen is a Jewish family name (my surname by the way) but i'v lost the connection to the article.

6. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

"RIC 302, Cohen 3" are reference designations and numbers.
    RIC is short for "Roman Imperial Coinage" reference.
    You can look up your coin here:
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/gordian_III/t.html

7. Heythere7

Heythere7 New Member

thank you sir, but I'm intrigued as to what does the "Cohen" stands for in that regard?

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Same thing, it´s an old standard catalogue for roman coins by author Henry Cohen (Description historique des monnaies frappées sous l'Empire Romain. 8 Vols. Paris, 1880-92).

Alegandron, Heythere7 and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Heythere7

Heythere7 New Member

thanks a lot!

KIWITI likes this.
  10. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

"Hen to co-Hen, Hen to co-Hen..." old joke, couldn't resist. That reverse type was used on coins in at least 3 different denominations of which I'm aware. Since there is an "SC" in the exergue, that rules out the billon antoninianus. However, this appears as though it could be either an as or a sestertius.
    This is of somewhat unique importance to me - it's the same type as one of the very first ancient coins I was got as a Christmas present in 1957, and started the journey, as they say:
    [​IMG]
    With all the other things which have passed through my hands during the last 60 years, this (and the others in that original group of coins) I have somehow been able to hold on to through all the changes. This one is an as ( http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album100/ML_22_Gord_III_Apollo_as_ed?full=1 ) and as I look at it, I suspect yours is a sestertius (= 4 asses / 1/4 denarius) - a larger denomination but one which often shared common reverse types with other denominations minted during the same period.

Draft saved Draft deleted